• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cremation Urn

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some information on turning a cremation urn. A fellow turner told me that he had seen a thread on this forum devoted to this subject, but when I attempted a search, I came up empty. I am particularly interested in required sizes (volumes) relative to the size of the individual and sources for acceptable seals. I'm pretty sure that this project is way beyond my abilities, but I am determined to at least investigate it. Thanks in advance.

coachlou

Rule of thumb is one cubic inch per one pound of the persons or animals living weight. As if he/she weighed 175 pounds then you would need a container holding 175 cubic inches. A close reference is a gallon milk bottle holds about 220 cubic inches. A way to measure, is fill it with rice and pour it out level into as rectanglular box and measure it L x W x H in inches. Seal the inside and provide a lid that can be glued or screwed down. Good luck. OB

I attended a session at the AAW Syp in Lex last summer where this was discussed and demonstrated. The inch per pound was mentioned and discused. If my memory serves me correctly new regulations require screwed on lids instead of gluing for human remains. Not sure on that but needs looking into before you spend a lot of time.

But to be honest once you bring the ashes home in the standard cheap can it seems you could stick them in anything you wanted, but I have no experience with it.

Thanks

Thanks all. I found and printed out Bill Grumbine's article for reference and I am glad to get the info on retios. Thanks again.

coachlou

Back