• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cross-grain lid on long grain box

How bad of an idea is it to fit a cross-grain turned lid on a long grain turned box? Which lid-to-box mounting options are less prone to problems from mismatched grain direction?

With a small, like 1 1/2 inch diameter max, it should not present too many problems. If you go over that size, it may end up being impossible to get the lid off some time. Burl does not tend to move as unevenly as side grain. When I make bigger boxes, I always make them out of end grain, and always from one piece of wood. That way, at least in theory, when you are done with the box, if it moves you should still be able to remove the lid. You may not be able to spin the lid all the way around, but, again, in 'theory' the lid and base will move the same so the lid should still come off easily.

robo hippy

It depends on the type of box and the fit that you want. Some boxes work well with an easily removed lid, one handed. Others are better with a friction lid.

How do you measure the badness of an idea? On a scale from 1=picking vanilla ice cream when you could have had chocolate chip to 10=my wife's decision to say 'yes' when I proposed, I'd put your mixed grain box at about deciding to put the old gas in the chainsaw instead of going to the gas station for fresh.

Seriously, with seasonal wood movement, you will not be able to have a snug fitting lid. Nothing wrong with a loose lid; it just won't impress other turners with your amazing skill. Otherwise, it might look funny. The only opinion that counts when it comes to funny looking or not is yours.

Back