• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Curt George

Hello everyone, my name is Curtis.
I have been using the lathe since I was 10yr old. (I'm 57 now) I own a Shop Smith as my dedicated lathe, I also own a small steal lathe (6" Atlas) , and two Legacy Ornamental mills.

My question is I do not know where I fit in?
You see, Most wood turners that I've seen/ talked to over the last few years only do bowls , I do spindles (between centers work mostly.) For me I have made a few boxes, and a few cups,
but 98% of my work are spindles, handles, and re-production work.
On the ornamental side of things, the Legacy is a type of router lathe, In the OT world the Rose engine is the Queen on the chessboard (so to speak.) And the Holtzapeffel lathe is the King (even though most
people do not use them.) So as you see my Legacy Ornamental Mill doesn't fit in this area either.

I have a wide range of skills and Knowledge but I really don't fit in norm. ;-)
So this ends my introduction, Hello. I am happy to meet any and all people who want to talk shop.
have a good day.

I am going to try to post some photo's of some of my work.

C.A.G.

Attachments

• Sijo's cane4.JPG
    Sijo's cane4.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 21
  • banksta pod bowlRED.jpg
    banksta pod bowlRED.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 23
  • church table.JPG
    church table.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Newel post3.JPG
    Newel post3.JPG
    687.9 KB · Views: 24
Hello again everyone.
thank you for the kind words.

I am strictly a hobbyist. but I do enjoy making things. and seeing peoples faces when given a gift is priceless ,to me.
The Cane was a gift to my mentor/teacher when he was in need of a walking stick. the table/high bench was for a church entrance way.
The newel post was my first paid job, and it too was more due to no-one would help this man in his time of need. it was a transition
piece to match the old with the new stairwell part on his new addition on an 1890 house/home.

Anyways, My Shop Smith and Legacy ornamental mill . are my main tools of choice. They may not be the best of tools. but they are the
best that I have. and they fit my needs. Many of the tools that I have, I either modified or adapted for the tools that I have. (an example is the cane.
I saw an Atkins Recep acting jig in an OT book and made one for my Legacy.)

I hope to learn, and share new ideas. And in the sharing we all can grow form the experiences. ;-)
Thanks again for the kind welcome.
Have a good night.

C.A.G.

Back