• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dag Arne Østlund

Hello all
I,m Dag from Bodø, Norway.
After some 30+ years in active duty, I retired from the Norwegian Air Force 6 months ago. Being an aeronautical engineer by trade, I was so fortunate to get a 4 year long assignment to Fort Worth from 2015 to 2019. My wife and I loved every minute of our stay in Texas!
When the almost never-ending winter in Bodø presents yet another re-run of last weeks storm with sleet and hail from the North-west, I sure do miss Fort Worth. Mild and short winters, friendly people, excellent barbequing, microbreweries galore with awesome beers, tons of culture, sports, attractions to bee seen and activities to be done, you name it!

Of course, when winter becomes long, dark and dreary, it is definitely a good time to do indoor activities, like some decent woodworking :)
However, it did not take long before itching eyes and coughing revealed to me that I will need a better protection against wood dust than just a disposable dust mask.
And there, just floating around in the big Google cloud, I found this excellent source of knowledge, experience and information in the AAW forum! So it was actually my search for a comparism between respirators, JSP Powercap and Trend Airshield that led me to you.
Thank you so much for having me.

Currently I am in the process of building a garage to make room for my projects and for the carpenter tools i inherited from my late father a year ago. Hopefully I will have the garage in place by the end of November, and can then start looking for a lathe.
My brother was the lucky one to get my fathers old lathe, a Luna, but I do not think I will have a hard time finding one on the Norwegian equivalent to Craigs list.

Cheers
Dag

Welcome, Dag-I just got here myself. I imagine that in a garage shop in Norway, you will probably want to consult the thread on here somewhere regarding best ways to heat a cold workshop.

Welcome. There a lot of great folks willing to help in any way.
If I had a choice, I would live in Norway due to many allergies.

Thank you gents, for welcoming me.
best ways to heat a cold workshop.

Yep, one good way would be to keep myself busy instead of just loitering around when I'm there ;)
Hmmm, perhaps a pedal-driven lathe would be the Columbi egg here....Nah, too much fuss

I would live in Norway due to many allergies.
Totally understand you.
Allergies can be a pain in the lower end of the neck. Norway is great for allergies during wintertime. Summertime, not so much. Birch, willow, different species of grass can be bad during the season.
But I guess Cleveland can not enjoy the pause in floral allergenes provided by a layer of snow for as long as we can in Norhern Norway.

Dag, off topic but the Tennessee River Valley has something blooming from February to November. Same with the Ohio River Valley.

Back