• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dan Hall

Greetings All:
I'm very much a newby here. I've never turned an inch of anything on a lathe; wood or metal. I am however an old tired construction hand with 30+ years in the electrical end of things. I taught apprenticeship school for many years and know my way around woodworking. I've got a pretty well equipped but tiny shop with the usual; band, table and radial arm saws, planer, jointer, drill press, compressed air and every hand held power tool known to man. Many of them in twos.

I'm scheduled to attend the general meeting of "Nevada Woodchucks" an AAW affiliated local club and hope to get set up to participate in their twice monthly turners meetings. So there you go.

I've retired myself as a private pilot recently, I'm too old and too poor for that stuff any longer. The airplanes are for sale and maybe the house too. I'd like a bigger shop. I'm eyeballing lathes from Powermatic, Robust, Jet, Laguna etc. etc.

I've lived in California, Washington, and Alaska and now live in Sparks Nevada. I've lived in houses, RVs and on big boats. I play music from time to time and run the powerpoint and lyric slide operation for my church. I'm 68 years old and love dogs and most people.
Here's a picture of my 1920 something Boyce-Crane 14" snowflake. IMG_0719.JPG

Cheers and all
Dan

Last edited:
Dan, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have had an interesting life. Good idea to attend the meeting. You will find lots of advice, help and mentoring with woodturners. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If I have a question about something, I ask my wife.:p

Ha! I can still see small portions of my table saw top. I think. I have no idea where a lathe will go. I suspect I'll move the table saw closer to the roll up door and use the driveway for an outfeed table. Just get-er-done before all the heat pours out in the winter or cold gets away in the summer. Better to sell the place and buy another one with a big shop. My beloved is resisting.

Or a cat. Cats are good....at least good cats are good.

Welcome to the forum.
Nice bandsaw.
Thanks. It really works well. I'd like to build a better base for it one of these days. Some classic old tools are really better than new you know? But wood lathes maybe not so much.

Back