• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Daniel Warren

Hello All,

I've been browsing this forum for some time and now feel compelled to participate. I am grateful for the information provided by everyone here. I've already gleaned a great deal of information that has helped me progress!

I live in Northern California and currently run a Delta 46-450 which I purchased from my former high school. I am ready to upgrade!

Here's a few projects I've started and or completed;

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 20

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Daniel. You are off to a great start. I especially like the unfinished bowl in the first picture. It has a very nice form. I was curious about the species of wood. It looks a lot like oak, but I am also thinking that it might be London Plane.

Hi Bill,

It is oak, with some spalting I believe. My neighbors took down a perfectly good oak and I was able to salvage a few rounds. Unfortunately I cannot finish it on my current lathe due to the gap in the bed. It's still wet but I'll have to make other arrangements once it dries. There's an abundance of oak near me fortunately.

Interesting that you noted the form, I've been struggling to recreate that on other projects. Everything winds up too deep/steep.

Welcome to the crew. You have some interesting woods there . What is the wood in the last one? Like you here in the deep south we have lots of oak but that is not the most fun to turn. Cherry, Beech, Persimmon, Walnut , Pecan, Hickory, to name a few . Always something new to try , even Redbud (a hedge) can make some nice turning wood.

Hi Gerald,

The last one is Bloodwood. I found that some of the oak was pretty challenging, whereas walnut and even some exotics were more forgiving. I am always on the hunt for wood!

Back