• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Darrell Stokes

Hello, all.

I just started learning wood turning about a year ago, and I got a Jet 1221VS in October. I find that I’m far more interested in bowls and the like than spindle turning, but I’ve played a bit with that too.

I’m very much a beginner, but I’ve made some pieces I’m proud of. And I’ve now started making them for other people instead of just for practice, since there are only so many places in my house I can set a bowl!

Welcome aboard. Yes there is lots to learn and you might want to look into a club for help in that area. I am guessing you are making lots of gifts since sales come hard.
Thanks, Gerald! I just found a local club, but they're pretty inactive at the moment.

I don't have plans to sell pieces, so yes, I'm making lots of gifts. Right now I'm exploring different woods, shapes, techniques, and having a ton of fun.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,

unfortunately there is no safe way to have in person club activities with the virus prevalence we have in this country.
This makes it especially hard for new turners to get the coaching or classes to Advance their skills. The craft schools are all closed our club has postponed and then cancelled our spring learn to turn.
Maybe next year or the year after.

I can’t stand over your shoulder and help you find the bevel but be glad to try to help you work through problems you get stuck on.

Last edited:
Welcome,

unfortunately there is no safe way to have in person club activities with the virus prevalence we have in this country.
This makes it especially hard for new turners to get the coaching or classes to Advance their skills. The craft schools are all closed our club has postponed and then cancelled our spring learn to turn.
Maybe next year or the year after.

I can’t stand over your shoulder and help you find the bevel but be glad to try to help you work through problems you get stuck on.
Thanks so much! This forum is a great place with some wonderful people, and I’m glad I’ve found it.

Back