• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dave Landers

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I'm Dave and I live in Estes Park, Colorado.

I've been woodturning for more than 30 years, but was self-taught. The problem with being self taught is that your teacher doesn't know anything.

About 5 years ago I had enough other commitments free up (kids out of college, volunteering with the Boy Scouts reduced, etc) and I joined our local club and the AAW. That was the number one best (woodturning) decision I've made. I've learned and progressed more in the last 5 years than in the previous 25+, and have been able to share some of that back: I've demonstrated for our club twice and am helping out as webmaster for our symposium website.

Last year, I changed my day-job (as a software engineer) down to part-time and gave myself a bit more time to spend in the shop.

IMG_5135.jpeg
That's the lathe corner of my shop - I turn on a PM3520B. The Jet in the forgeground doesn't get used much but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The problem with being self taught is that your teacher doesn't know anything.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Dave. I love your comment that I quoted above. It is so true and when you don't know, you don't realize that you don't know. I started out trying to teach myself, but fortunately the kind folks at the local Rockler's convinced me to join the local club, Woodturners of North Texas. I soon realized as you said that my teacher didn't know anything.

Welcome. Don't sell the Jet- you will regret it later. Sold things that I wish I had kept.

Back