• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Croxton

Hello everyone! My name is David Croxton - most of my friends call me "Dave" and I'm cool with that!
I'm a brand-new member to AAW and have just recently started exploring the web site and this forum - I have a lot of catching up to do with all the great content!
I have been a member of my local chapter - New Mexico Woodturners - since 2018.
Been woodworking in one form or another since I was old enough to pick up a hammer - my dad was a carpenter & I learned so much from him. My woodworking took a dramatic step up in mid 1990's when I began making Southwest style furniture with lots of hand carving and stone inlay.
Sometime around 2005, I saw an article in one of my woodworking magazines about "how to turn a Cholla Cactus Pen with Turquoise Inlay"- it looked like a really cool project! I had been looking for an excuse to buy a lathe - and so my journey down the rabbit hole began with a Delta Midi Lathe and a couple of Sorbey Turning tools! Early on, I turned mostly small projects that I could finish over a weekend. I was always looking to try different types of wood and various other materials, just to gain experience turning.
Fast forward to 2019 - I bought a larger lathe in order take another step in this hobby - learning to make hollow forms and larger vessels. I also wanted to learn more about texturing, carving and applying other embellishments on turnings. I had also heard about Basketweave Illusion and saw some photos, but it was a few years before I decided to give it a go - now I am hooked!
Currently, I just enjoy being in the shop - challenging myself to learn new techniques and hopefully create something beautiful that people will like looking at.

Welcome Dave it is interesting that you went from a midi to a long bed lathe. I went the other way and found that the midi had a bigger swing over the bed also i can add an extra onto the bed if i want to go back to aor need a long bed lathe.

Welcome Dave it is interesting that you went from a midi to a long bed lathe. I went the other way and found that the midi had a bigger swing over the bed also i can add an extra onto the bed if i want to go back to aor need a long bed lathe.
Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome message!
Good to hear your switch to a midi lathe worked out well for you! I guess capacities just depend on the manufacturer - with my old Delta midi I had just under a 12" swing capacity over the bed, however my newer lathe is a Nova DVR & it has a 16" over the bed swing capacity - plus - I can pivot the headstock & use the outrigger attachment which will allow me to turn up to a massive 29" diameter piece! The Nova also has more length between centers than the Delta midi, but I would not consider it a long bed lathe - although I could get an optional bed extension at some point if I find that I need more room. So far, stepping up to the Nova has really helped me accomplish some of the things that I was wanting to learn but was limited somewhat by the capacity of the old Delta lathe. I actually still have my old Delta midi and use it on a fairly regular basis. Initially, I thought about selling it after I bought the Nova, but now I'm glad I didn't -- I have found it to be very convenient to have both lathes! - Have fun & work safe!

Back