• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Green

Hello Everyone. 12 years ago over Thanksgiving I was looking for something in the back of my dad's barn and found a lathe. At the time I had very little interest in woodturning. I asked him about it, mostly because it was just sitting there rusting away. It was not particularly fancy - a Delta 04-651. His reply was "what lathe?" The bed was fairly rusty and it was missing the drive belt. I plugged it in and tried it and the motor still worked. Most of the tools were basic and cheap but there was a Sorby skew and a small hollower. At the time my plan was get it home, get it back operating and then sell it. I got it home, got the rust off and got it in operating condition, then decided I needed to try it out. After I turned a few small things (not well) I was hooked. Unlike flatwork, if I didn't like the way something looked a few more cuts and the piece had a different shape. Also I discovered woodturning fit my lifestyle then. With young kids and remodeling our house I didn't have a lot of time. I could put something on the lathe and make a lot of progress in 30 minutes, whereas with flatwork it would take several minutes to set up a cut, and I didn't have to tear down a lathe setup to use, say, my tablesaw for a home improvement project. A year later I took a turning class through the local community college. My kids are older now, one will be going away to school this year. In anticipation of having more evenings and weekends free I am going to try to spend more time at the lathe, including just practicing, things like finally really learning to use a skew. I still use that lathe. Here is some recent work

Maple, 10.5" diameter, 6" deep
maplebowl.jpeg

Hickory, 8" diameter.
hickorybowl.jpeg

Howdy and Welcome from Texas!

Back