• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Martin

I have been working wood my whole life but am brand new to woodturning. I had a shop set up in Wisconsin for quite a few years that I heated with wood, which provided me with a good use for my scrap. A few years ago my wife and I moved south, and now the scrap has a tendency to pile up. My day job is building wood car bodies, and occasionally some wood boat work, and I always start with a load of rough sawn lumber of at least 8/4 and sometimes heavier. The odd size and shape pieces I use leave me with a lot of cutoffs that it seemed a shame to burn. I tried giving them away but nobody seemed interested. Well, I thought, if nobody else wants to make anything out of my waste, maybe I can. So, I bought a small benchtop lathe and am in the process of collecting a useful set of tooling. The nature of my scrap seems to lend its self more to bowl turning than anything else. so thats the direction I have been going. After grinding a stick or two into dust just to try to get a feel for the tools I managed to turn out a few small bowls. I would show them to you but my wife gave them away.... either because someone else wanted them, or because she didn't, I'm not sure which. In my younger days I would have taken the hard headed brute force approach and figured it out by doing it, but I'm going to try something new and see if I can't benefit from the experience of others. I tend to read more than write, but I imagine you will see my name pop up occasionally.

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi David, welcome from Chattanooga! I'll warn you that once you get the woodturning bug, the other types of woodworking tend to become secondary haha ;)

Welcome from Ohio. Sounds like you have a great source for hardwoods. Think about segmented woodturning. See segmentedwoodturners.org
That does look interesting. I have tried pieces of 1/16"mahogany veneer or thin layers of mahogany up to about 3/8" stacked in with thicker pieces of Ash or Maple.

Back