• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Wrate

Greetings folks, brand new here and brand new to turning, well turning wood anyway as I have a metal lathe.
I've been wanting to try turning to add to my repertoire of skills. I have a full shop in a tiny space, jam packed with tools and machines.
Picked up Rikon midi lathe a few weeks back and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a stand so that I can get it set up.
No shop pics at this point as it's a complete disaster.
I live on Vancouver Island and I'm keen to try turning some of our local woods such as Arbutus (Madrone) and Garry Oak.
Happy to be here and eager to learn!

Welcome to the forum. Look for a club to help you learn. I will be in Vancover for a cruise on the 24th but no time to get out to the island. Feel free to ask questions as lots of qualified people here. Several here love Madrone as it moves so much after turning .

Back