• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dean Adkins, local liaison extraordinaire!

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
The AAW San Jose Symposium was an amazing event and there were hundreds of dedicated and effective volunteers who made it possible and successful.

Being my first symposium, it was mind-boggling witnessing all the coordination and labor needed to make this event happen.

From my local perspective, Dean Adkins of the Bay Area Woodturners Association played the key role as local liaison, contributing time and talent in effectively planning and coordinating the all the local club volunteers and on-site requirements...and all with a smile on his face.

If we had a problem or a question, we all called Dean and he got it ‘fixed’.

A BIG 'THANK YOU' to Dean and ALL the volunteers who made San Jose such a successful symposium!

And by the way, found someone’s Allen Wrench in my pocket this morning at the washing machine. Call and identify :>)

-e-

Last edited:
He Weren't The Only One

Everywhere I walked last weekend I saw those volunteer shirts. While Dean may have done yeoman duty, there were a helleva lot of people on the laboring oars and they each deserve credit and "thank youz", from dis Joisey Boy and everyone else!!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
As Mark said.
Hundreds of people! We had about 1400 attendees and at least 400 had a part in making it go.

Kurt Hertzog, Dean Adkins, Dave Vannier coordinate the volunteer committees and they did a fantastic job.
Dean was a pleasure to work with he was engaged, attentive to detail and quick to respond.
Scores of local volunteers set up equipment, wood, lathes for the youth classes, empty Bowls, and so much more.....
John Ellis coordinates all the volunteers
Carol Ellis coordinated the spouse demos
Binh Pho, Deryl Duer, and Bob Hunt coordinated the videographers and the 24 videographers
The Pop committee chaired by Trent Bosch puts together a lot of content for the Symposium
( panels, Emerging Artists, Richard Raffan exhibition, Beyond Containment Exhibition, intimate critique, awards......)
Exhibitions committee - walk in the woods exhibition,
Youth Committee - joe Ruminski, Larry Miller, Bonnie, Nick, and Almeta Robertson and all the folks who donate their time as assistants in the classes
Walter Mieir, Technatool, sanding glove, Crown, and Vince's wooden wonder who donate equipment and materials.
The local committee who puts the equipment together, cleans the chucks. And much more
Auctioneers John Hill, Rob Wallace, and all the folks who donated auction items.
Lathe providers - ONEWAY, Walter Mieir, and woodworkers emporium, and TomWirsing who coordinates it
Sharon Bierman - handbook
I do the scheduling so I get to watch these men and women work all year long.
Malcolm Zander for finding most of my mistakes.

Many have put lot of hours into Tampa already

Local coordinators for 2013 Ron Browning, chair & Rudy Lopez, co- chair

Symposium - Kurt Hertzog (Chair), Trent Bosch, Rex Burningham, Warren Carpenter, John Ellis, Al Hockenbery, Binh Pho, Rob Wallace, Cassandra Speier, Tom Wirsing
Videographers Selection - Binh Pho (Chair)
Videographers - Darryl Duer
Demonstrator Selection - Kurt Hertzog (Chair), Curt Theobald, Binh Pho
Educational Opportunity Grants (EOG) - more - Kurt Hertzog (Chair), Jean LeGwin, Binh Pho, Cassandra Speier
Exhibitions - Binh Pho (Chair), Pete Kekel, J. Paul Fennell, Jean LeGwin
Safety - Don Derry (Chair), Rex Birmingham, Nick Cook, David Ellsworth, Dan Luttrell
Publications - Jean LeGwin (Chair), Betty Scarpino, Stan Wellborn, Malcolm Zander
International (proposed) - Terry Martin (Chair), Kurt Hertzog, Dale Larson, Botho von Hampeln, Tom Wirsing
Professional Outreach Program (POP) - more - Trent Bosch (Chair), Barbara Crockett, J. Paul Fennell, Al Hockenbery, Terry Martin, Jerry Kermode, Bonnie Klein, David Nittmann, Betty Scarpino, Binh Pho (Board liaison), Curt Theobold, Kevin Wallace, David Willard
Youth Program - Joe Ruminski (Chair), Bonnie Klein, Larry Miller, Nick Cook, Dale Larson (Board liaison)

It is a pleasure to be around so many people who willing donate their time and skill to the AAW.
Al

Last edited:
Back