• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dean Coss

A major part of choosing a chuck is the basic jaw design - dovetail, serrated, or Oneway profile. They all work, but I find the OW profile to be my favorite because I dont have to worry about tenon size for perfect circle fit and find relocating the tenon after removal is helped by the indentations made by the profile serrations (chuck is marked and each tenon is marked). I may unchuck an item several times. I use tenons 99% of the time.

Another is important aspect is the jaw set variation available. As you gain experience you may find the need for certain types of jaws for various projects. I have a Nova G3 that works ok with the 50mm std jaws, but most of the other jaw sets are designed more for mortices, so I dont recommend them.

I agree with @Bill Boehme regarding the OW thread insert - simply the best. I prefer a chuck with an insert - hard to predict when the chuck may need to go on another spindle size.

I prefer to size the chuck and jaws to the work. For that size lathe a OW Talon and Stronghold sized chuck should be in your plan, and perhaps a smaller one yet if you do much small work.

The OW, Vicmarc, and Axminster are pretty equal IMO. Tends to come down to various personal preferences.

Back