• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dean Moldenhauer

Hi, all.
My name is Dean and I'm from north of Seattle, WA. I have been a hobby woodworker for a number of years, mostly focused on utility flat-work. I have always wanted to get a lathe and learn woodturning and finally took the first formal step a month ago when I attended a local woodturners group meeting.. Well, it didn't take too much more than that to hook me. A couple days later, I attended an all day beginners' class on woodturning and the hook was set a bit deeper. I have been gearing up a bit for retirement in about 5 years by getting my shop lined out. Going to be upgrading my electrical soon so I can have a more robust and fit-for-purpose network of 120V and 240V receptacles back there. Need to do some more organizing and tidying up and get my lathe and I'll be ready to start "making shavings".
I have a lathe ordered and should see it, hopefully, by the end of April or so. In the meantime, I've been putting together my "kit" with the requisite face-shield, smock, etc. and I have purchased some tools. I got the Benjamin's Best set and then decided I wanted to get something a little nicer so picked up a few D-Way tools. Going to pick up a 1 HP slow-speed grinder soon and I've got a couple of CBN wheels ready to mount up. I want to be ready to start turning and sharpening as soon as the lathe shows up.
I think I will spend some time practicing on cheap 2x2 blanks doing some spindle work, then I plan on venturing into a couple of kits (pepper mill, etc.). Then, I would like to try my hand at some smaller bowls and boxes. Hollow-forms aren't likely in the cards for quite some time, but it's on my list.
Anyway, I've been lurking for some time - reading just about all I can. Now it's time to spend some more time actually behind the lathe and grinder.
Thanks to all those who contribute to these forums to a) stoke the fire and b)provide such valuable input. Between the forums, You-Tube and the network of experienced turners at the club, I'm excited to start exploring this craft.

Dean

If you have any electrical questions puzzling you give me a shout. I spent my life in electrical construction at about every level and can usually find the answers to things. The other thing I suggest, as I'm in the same place you are with turning, is that Alan Lacer, the guru of the skew, recommends a Oneway safe drive center.
https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_75_107_121
This will make tool catches far less dramatic and or traumatic as we learn to turn. Your aim of starting on spindles is the way I intend to go as well. My first AAW turners local meeting is next Tuesday evening. Last month's was snowed out.

If you have any electrical questions puzzling you give me a shout. I spent my life in electrical construction at about every level and can usually find the answers to things. The other thing I suggest, as I'm in the same place you are with turning, is that Alan Lacer, the guru of the skew, recommends a Oneway safe drive center.
https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_75_107_121
This will make tool catches far less dramatic and or traumatic as we learn to turn. Your aim of starting on spindles is the way I intend to go as well. My first AAW turners local meeting is next Tuesday evening. Last month's was snowed out.
Thanks, Dan. Sounds like we are in a very similar place with regard to our turning career.
At the one class I attended, we indeed used the "safe" live-centers. I intend on using those to start until I get my tool awareness and feel down a bit more. I know even the pros have catches from time to time, but are probably adept enough from letting them turn into a flying wood situation.
For the most part, I speak the lingo of electrical as I spent the early part of my career as an industrial electrical designer - BUT that doesn't always translate well to the residential world. I am well aware that those guys are the pros. I may know enough to be able to ask some less-than-idiotic questions, but i am going to hand the reins over to an electrical contractor to run the new service to my barn/shop and install the main sub-panel and the sub sub-panel. I will probably take over from there and install my own conduit, wire and receptacles to the locations around my shop.
Have fun at the AAW meeting. Mine was interesting and definitely left me wanting to keep going.

I look forward to reading about your progression and see how our paths compare. I don't expect a lot of extra time between now and retirement to spend at the lathe, but I will get out there every chance I get and also attend as many hands-on classes as possible. Lots to learn from those that have been there and done that.

Dean

Thanks, John. Probably didn't take as long as I should have after the meeting and lesson to order a lathe and start buying tools, but I think this is going to be an enjoyable hobby.

Dean

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Dean. Starting out learning to turn spindles especially if you learn to use the skew chisel gives you a solid foundation for using any other tool. Additionally, spindle turning is relatively safe ... if a spindle comes off the lathe about the worst thing that might happen would be that it would fall straight down and land on a toe.*

I also recommend getting a "safe drive". A bit of trivia about safe drives ... originally, many years ago they were known as "dead centers" and were used in the tailstock. This was before rotating live centers with ball bearings came along. The cup on the dead center was filled with tallow or lard or beeswax to lubricate the contact with the spinning wood. When live centers came along, dead centers became an endangered species. Fortunately, before they were truly dead they were able to adapt to the rapidly evolving woodturning environment with a new role as a safe drive center in the headstock.

Using a safe drive with spindle turning makes catches even less dramatic and much less likely that a piece will come off the lathe.

I know even the pros have catches from time to time, but are probably adept enough from letting them turn into a flying wood situation.

Would you believe that I only have catches as a rehearsal for demonstrating them to new turners. :rolleyes: (I didn't think that you would) :D

*Nothing hurts like dropping something on a toe even if it's not very heavy. I've been known to occasionally drop a tool and they are guaranteed to always go pointy end first towards the floor. So, no barefooted turning ... also no flip-flops or sandals. Also wear all the appropriate safety gear like face shield, eye protection, and respiratory protection. It's also a good idea to wear a smock and don't go traipsing into the house before cleaning all the shavings, chips, and dust off your clothing. Don't ask how I came to know that pearl of wisdom. :)

Thank you, Bill. I think my lathe comes with a live center but not sure if it’s a “safety” type. I think the point can be removed so it’s just a cup, but my recollection of a safety center has the point and the cup... just not the spurs. I’ll check.
Sure, I believe you about the no catches except as a rehearsal. I’ve watched a number of videos of veteran turners that “purposely demonstrate” a catch. When they tell you before they do it, I believe them. It’s the ones where they effectively say “ I Meagan’s to do that...” where I have my doubts :).
I’m pretty much a no flip flops in the shop kinda guy. I’ve worked in/around oilrefineries for 30 years so not only do I have a good selection of work footwear, I also have absorbed at least some key safety habits. Eye/face protection is another thing I’ve developed good habits around and am set up well there. Bought my own face shield before the beginner turning class. The one area I have never been as good about is respiratory protection while wood-working. That is going to change.
...and... all of the injuries prevented by those items of PPE can be wiped out by taking a shirt full of shavings (or sawdust) off in the house. I clean up after myself but sometimes not soon enough to avoid the near-lethal LOOK! I think that’s a commonly held pearl :D

Dean

Back