• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Debra Traverse

Greetings. I am a new member. Been turning for @ 2 years.
The learning curve is multi-faceted. Which gouges leads to how to keep 'em sharp? Bowl turning starts with safe mounting, what speeds, then turning techniques, and of course which finish? Not to mention blank harvesting and prepping. The list goes on...
Heck, even figuring out how to log into this forum page took time.
I'm a member of the Central Virginia Woodturners Club.
I've set up challenges for myself - turn a few bowls, then try thinner walls, figure out different foot/base options, go for a live edge bowl and then an asymmetric live edge, a lidded bowl, anything I can think of to hone my skills.
I'm having a blast!fullsizeoutput_167e.jpeg

Howdy and welcome from Texas. I like that bowl. What kind of wood is it?

Greetings. I am a new member. Been turning for @ 2 years.
The learning curve is multi-faceted. Which gouges leads to how to keep 'em sharp? Bowl turning starts with safe mounting, what speeds, then turning techniques, and of course which finish? Not to mention blank harvesting and prepping. The list goes on...
Heck, even figuring out how to log into this forum page took time.
I'm a member of the Central Virginia Woodturners Club.
I've set up challenges for myself - turn a few bowls, then try thinner walls, figure out different foot/base options, go for a live edge bowl and then an asymmetric live edge, a lidded bowl, anything I can think of to hone my skills.
I'm having a blast!View attachment 48759
Debra , nice bowl you did well, welcome the forum, i am also a new member.
Best to you
dennis

Ash. Dry, heavy, and rock hard. Many trips to the sharpening station to get it done.
Hi Debra, and welcome! I'm a very newly minted woodturner, about six weeks in at this point. So my new shop layout was planned well before I had solid turning experience. I count myself fortunate that I took seriously advice to locate the grinder right next to where the lathe would go...

Funny to read this, I was just thinking the other day about how turning has so many different rabbit holes to go down into. Bowls vs. spindles, hollow forms, segmenting, ornamental, coring, as well as everything you mentioned. Oh and the mighty skew, which seems to be a chasm within turning, for some a magical tool, for others, a can opener. :D

Welcome, and love that bowl!

Back