• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

December Turning Challenge: Turn a Christmas decoration

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The turning challenge theme for December is to turn one (or more) Christmas decoration that is not a tree ornament. This would be something that could be placed under the Christmas tree or on a fireplace mantle or a table. Some examples would be a turned tree, snow folks, gnomes, Santa, nutcracker, reindeer, or even a troll. Turning a reindeer was never on my radar, but if you subscribe to Woodturning magazine, on page 46 of the current issue is a "how to" article on turning a reindeer on skis. :D

And finally, the fine print from the official AAW Forum legal consultants -- Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe:
  • Only one entry per person and only one photo of your entry.
  • Entries must be posted in this thread.
  • The deadline for posting entries is midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on December 26, 2022.
  • As always, this is a turning contest, not a "moldy oldie" photo contest, so in fairness to everybody, make sure your work is something you have made after December 5, 2022.
  • You may not post any photos of your entry in this month’s challenge in any other thread or in the gallery until the voting has ended and a winner has been declared.
  • Voting will take place from December 27, 2022, through midnight UTC on December 31. 2022.
  • Solicitation of votes will result in disqualification.
  • The winner might have to pass a lie detector test before collecting the prizes. :rolleyes: Good luck, have fun, make shavings, and let the chips fall where they may!!
When voting begins, you are allowed two votes, and once you have voted, you won't be able to go back and change your votes. After you have voted, you can track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election), so nobody else can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight UTC on December 31, 2022. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual waist-deep shavings-filled shop to determine the winner.

The Forest for the Trees!

The smallest one is about 5” (125mm) tall and the tallest is about 13” (330mm) tall. The darkest ones are all mesquite, the two wider ones in the back left are fig, the lighter-colored ones are honey locust, and the wider one in the back right is post oak, from the firewood pile.
Happy Holidays to all!

ABACC977-D580-4E9B-B809-1B93D979DDAB.jpeg

So I haven't made any Christmas Decorations but my daughter has been having fun. The scale is probably hard to tell but the big snowman is probably 5", and shortly after this photo was taken the rest of these were turned into earrings and given to her friends. For the most part made from a olive cutting board found on clearance.

snowmen.png

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
@Tom Draffen that is a nice Christmas tree ornament, but I hate to inform you that tree ornaments are ineligibl to participate in the December turning challenge. See the quote below:

The turning challenge theme for December is to turn one (or more) Christmas decoration that is not a tree ornament.

These are two of my variations of the trees that Alan Lacer has written about. One variation has tight curls and one has fuzzy curls. Both were done with a skew (and a brief cut or two with a spindle gouge at the base) with dry Basswood. They’re all about 5” to 5 1/4” tall.
C15AF350-342C-4B07-B307-7CD13BB455B7.jpeg

The Forest for the Trees!

The smallest one is about 5” (125mm) tall and the tallest is about 13” (330mm) tall. The darkest ones are all mesquite, the two wider ones in the back left are fig, the lighter-colored ones are honey locust, and the wider one in the back right is post oak, from the firewood pile.
Happy Holidays to all!

View attachment 48454
I do believe you have a veritable forest going on.

These are two of my variations of the trees that Alan Lacer has written about. One variation has tight curls and one has fuzzy curls. Both were done with a skew (and a brief cut or two with a spindle gouge at the base) with dry Basswood. They’re all about 5” to 5 1/4” tall.
Those are very interesting. Love to see the process.

Inspired by Fabergé eggs. I've made a couple eggs before, but this is my first attempt at a nativity egg.

Silver maple, 4 inches wide, 8.5 inches high, 1/8 inch thick walls. (The rims had to be thicker to accommodate the center point hinges.) The pierced floor is loose, the intent is to place a small LED light under it.

Pedestal and star are painted with fine glitter acrylic and inside the top is large-flake glitter acrylic. The effect isn't quite what I intended.

Nativity egg.jpg

A family of snowmen. Parents are 6” tall and the kids are 4,5” tall. The beanie-hats are painted with acrylics and wood-burned with snow flakes and texture. A heart was engraved on each snowman and painted red. Face expressions and buttons are burned on and a painted nose was inserted. Each one has a name engraved on the bottom and will be a cheerful “Family group-Christmas present”. the scarves are flannel fabric cut 1”wide X 12” long.

A1CCA8B5-16A3-4326-81A5-7DCFC35E9F14.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Approximately 10 years or over I made 2 nativities one for Glendale Woodturners Guilds annual Christmas auction and one to give to the retiring president Carey Caries. One of them was the named winner of the week on the AAW forum. At the time I made a lot of parts so I could pick out the best to assemble the nativities. At our November meeting Bill Haskell asked me if I had ever made any more to which I responded no but I do have a box of spare parts somewhere. Finding the box I decided I could put together one more nativity from these parts. It wasn't going to be as big as there were no parts for shepherds. I believe the originals had 2 or 3 shepherds. I did have most of the other parts. Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus were completely done as were the trees. I did have to turn heads and crowns for the three wise men plus finish up the cow and mule with various pieces. All the flat parts were made but needed assembly on a new base. This was then auctioned off at our December holiday meeting. So I'm confessing I did not recently turn most of this but I did just finish it. If this does not qualify for the challenge I apologize. I also apologize for the back ground of the picture as this was snapped by my wife before I walked out the door to the meeting. ;)
cropped Nativity.jpg

Approximately 10 years or over I made 2 nativities one for Glendale Woodturners Guilds annual Christmas auction and one to give to the retiring president Carey Caries. One of them was the named winner of the week on the AAW forum. At the time I made a lot of parts so I could pick out the best to assemble the nativities. At our November meeting Bill Haskell asked me if I had ever made any more to which I responded no but I do have a box of spare parts somewhere. Finding the box I decided I could put together one more nativity from these parts. It wasn't going to be as big as there were no parts for shepherds. I believe the originals had 2 or 3 shepherds. I did have most of the other parts. Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus were completely done as were the trees. I did have to turn heads and crowns for the three wise men plus finish up the cow and mule with various pieces. All the flat parts were made but needed assembly on a new base. This was then auctioned off at our December holiday meeting. So I'm confessing I did not recently turn most of this but I did just finish it. If this does not qualify for the challenge I apologize. I also apologize for the back ground of the picture as this was snapped by my wife before I walked out the door to the meeting. ;)
View attachment 48780
this is really beautiful!

View attachment 48780
That is adorable.

Back