• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delbert Goff

Hello from the Highlands of Southwest Virginia. I am excited to have an opportunity to learn more about woodturning and hope to have a chance to get to know some of the forum members. My first turning experience was making a lamp for a 4-H competition when I was in middle school. I did a little more turning after graduating from high school, but then I had other priorities and did not get back to turning until about 35 years later. In 2016 I bought a lathe and got started. After watching videos on segmented turning I was hooked and make several segmented bowls. Then, once again, other priorities prevailed and I didn't do any turning for a few years. Now I am retired and I getting started again. I am proud of some of my projects, but I consider myself a beginner. I look forward to learning more and getting more involved in woodturning. I have posted a few photos of some of my projects.

Delbert

P1130622.JPGP1140245.JPGP1130402.JPGP1130391.JPG

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hey hey from Chattanooga! Nice pieces—in particular I really love that second bowl with the long curves.

Thank you. The bowl that you mentioned is my favorite of all that I have turned, I wish that I would have taken better photos of it prior to giving it away. Here is a photo that shows a different view of the bowl. Thanks again.

P1140246.JPG

So far, I have given away everything that I have turned. A few for fundraisers, but most were given to family and friends. That bowl was given to the man who officiated at my mother's funeral. It is made of sapele and maple.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks for the info! That’s nice. Half of the enjoyment of woodworking/turning is being able to share gifts with others. Good to hear.

Back