• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delta Model 46-756 lathe electrical

Does anyone have the Delta Model 46-756 lathe? I am looking at it but am a little concerned over the 230V, 3-phase and a high frequency inverter, whatever that is.
Anyone have an explaination? I have what appears to be a dryer plug in the garage that I believe the previous owner used for some kind fo woodworking machinery. Should I stick some nails in that and see how dead it makes me?

TEK

inverter

I don't know all the technical stuff and details, but 3 phase inverters have been used for a long time. They allow a 3-phase motor to be run on a 1 phase electrical circuit. It seems to be pretty much the standard way to have electronic variable speed on motors large enough to power a lathe. They seem to be more popular than the D.C. motors and speed controls. I believe they are considered to be better than D.C. variable speed systems. I have the D.C. System on my Nova 3000 (not the DVR model) and it works for me. If you are comfortable with the other design features of the lathe go for it. See if you can try one somewhere and maybe a couple of other lathes.

Thanks for the info.
The more I think about it the more I think a 110V model would be more appropriate for my site anyway. I think limiting it to 220V would leave lots of people out and I try to get equipment that appeals to the biggest majority of my viewers.
I'll think on it real hard, maybe even grunt a couple of times before deciding.

Website
www.urbanwoodworks.com
Don't Let 230 V Scare You Away

Tom,

Don't let 230V scare you off. The dryer plug (one that has a vertical and two angled slots) would be a 30 Amp circuit and perfectly ok for your lathe. If you have 230 Volts / 30 Amps available, the worst thing to do (IMHO) would be to choose one over the other because it was 115 Volts instead of 230.

Instead, base your choice on what you want to do with the lathe and what you can afford.

Rick

Rick, (and all)
I appreciate the input!
After considering the differences, including electrical and price, I decided on the 46-715 as it will fit a far larger segment of my viewers. I think it has the vcapabilities I need for the reasonable future and fits the tooling I already have.
Down the road, who knows....I'll always want to have a second lathe in the shop.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Delta 46-715 Lathe

Tom,

I have the Delta 46-715 lathe and I am currently in the process of modifying it to use a three phase 1.5 HP Baldor inverty duty motor and a Baldor variable frequency drive. I am doing this to give me a wider speed range for the lathe since the low speed on my lathe is about 489 RPM and the maximum is about 2400 RPM (what I measured on my lathe).

The reason that three phase motors are used for variable speed AC motor applications on spindle machines is the need for high starting torque and constant torque at low speed operation. There are variable frequency drives available for single phase motors, but the speed range is small and the starting torque is very low so their use is restricted to aplications such as blowers.

If you are interested in variable frequency drives, I can provide you with more information than you might want to know.

Bill Boehme

Bill,
"more information than you might want to know."
This happen frequently! Usually from my doctor or wife.....

For the time being I will stick with what it comes with to keep in the realm of what the biggest majority of my viewers are interested in . This might be a cool project for later though.

46-756

I just purchased a Delta 46-756, 2 HP. Now I have to run 220 to my garage. Would 12/3 with ground be sufficient for a 2 HP motor? Please don't tell me it is in the manual, as the entire lathe is crated in the back of my pickup until I can get enough space in the garage to unpack it. Thanks Jim

More info

We will need to know how long of a run you are making to know if 12/3 is enough. I used it for my Delta X5 46 -755x but only had to go about 15 feet from the panel.

Back