• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Demo camera set up?

OK - the problem is: During a club demo in my shop it was hard for the people to see what was happening at the lathe. Answer is a camera/TV setup. Next problem is I know nothing about this sort of thing. What do I need? and will it be easy to set up and take down? how much money are we talking?

What I want is something simple, cheap, not too large as I might have to store it.

Thanks for your input.
Hugh

Hugh, the bayou woodturners have a great set-up for video, but you don't need that much to start.
You can buy a video camera, with output, on E-bay, a hock shop or get a donation of an old tape unit from a member. Then you need something to show it on. Cheapest way is a TV, or several TVs. Some members may have one to donate, etc.
The next best thing is to find a video projector on ebay, hock shop, etc. get a video screen (or show it on a white wall) and make it a big screen. We use two projectors, two screens and two cameras, but we've been working on this for about 5 years.
If you need technical help or want more info, contact me at info@bayouwoodturners.com and I'll be glad to send you photos or help you in any way I can.
Capt. Eddie Castelin
The Bayou Woodturners

Capt. Eddie,
Thanks for the reply. From what you have said - all I need is an old video camera with a tripod (or something else to hold it) and a TV? That seems too easy.

I was thinking the feed had to go through another machine between the two? What about those little cameras (3" square or so) that AAW uses? Would one of them work - if I had the small camera could I go right to the TV? I know nothing about this stuff. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Thanks.
Hugh

It is really that simple. Those small cameras that AAW use to use were from Woodchuckers in Canada. I understand that they are not available. After a while we upgraded to a CCTV camera used for security. The two I bought for under $99.00 were from a discount center. I have since changed to DV recorder units so we can make DVDs of demos. I'm still working on that project. I just found cameras on ebay for about $100. I have used cameras from members while I tweaked our plans. Most have a pure video output and most TVs have a video input available on channel one or Aux. Good Luck.

two other threads about this recently

Under the Main Forum is the "Choosing video system for AAW Chapter " thread (currently on page 3 of Main Forum)

and in the AAW Chapter Presidents' Forum is the "Audio Visual Upgrade Advice??" thread.

:)Location, Location
When you click to enter AAW Forums from the home page of the AAW site, you get info and a choice to enter the forums, you click on that and get:
5 choices in the main category, under the recent photos:
Main Forum (9 Viewing)(where we are now)
How-To's, Tips, and Techniques (1 Viewing)
Want-ads (2 Viewing)
AAW Chapter Presidents' Forum (2 Viewing)
Forum Move Issues

Click on the AAW Chapter Presidents' Forum
about 9 threads down is the "Audio Visual Upgrade Advice?? "Thread
where YoYo Spin gave a link to a SWAT newsletter article in the second post of the (Audio Visual Upgrade Advice??) Thread .

You click on the link and it will download the newsletter, and then you need to search the newsletter for pages 7 and 8 where the article is.

I hope this helps you find even more info.

Back