• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dennis J Gooding aka Dennis in Southern Oregon

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I am a retired electrical engineer and am licensed as a Professional Engineer in New York State. I received my engineering degrees from what was then called the U of Mo. School of Mines and Metallurgy, an old-line school that believed that an engineer of any discipline should be familiar with the basics of all. I find myself frequently applying some of this “side knowledge” to woodturning problems. Among other things, I have carried out an extensive (as yet unpublished) mathematical and experimental study of the factors affecting the design of boring bars for deep hollowing.

My first exposure to woodturning occurred in 1965 when I bought a tiny rudimentary lathe and a set of Craftsman turning tools to turn (hack out) a pair of pedestals for a coffee table that I was building. This lathe then sat idle for about 30 years until I retired and, casting about for something to do, hauled it out and started trying to learn to turn. I soon became addicted and bought a more serious lathe and associated tools. In 1997, I had the opportunity to attend a 3-day work shop with Richard Raffin, a mind-blowing experience for me and one that I repeated a couple of years later. After, that I upgraded to a large Oneway lathe and began to create mountains of chips. Some of the results can be seen the AAW Gallery. I have been an AAW member since 1998 and have been a frequent reviewer of books and videos for the AAW Woodturner since then.

I was born in Southwest Missouri and spent the next 13 years in ten different towns in the Mid West and Southern California. My family then returned to Missouri where I attended high school and college. My professional career was spent in New York State and Massachusetts.

For most of my career, I was involved in research and development, much of it directed toward digital signal processing techniques for automatic recognition, demodulation and decoding of radio signals. This work was mostly sponsored by aerospace companies and DOD organizations.

Upon retirement, I moved to Southern Oregon where I enjoy an environment that is more laid-back and considerably warmer than the Boston area that I left. I was a co-founder of and am a current member of the Southern Oregon Woodturners chapter of the AAW in Grants Pass.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Very interesting story of your woodturning journey. My career was also in aerospace and some of it actually involved what I thought I would be doing when I was in college. However, I mostly worked on guidance, navigation, and control, of rockets, missiles, and space vehicles.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I joined the Air Force in 1968 thinking I would get to fly in one way or another. Ended up working in long range radar and the closest I ever got to a plane was when they flew directly over our tower. :)

This explains a lot of the “over my head” threads you guys engage in :)

Great to hear about your background Dennis, I want to visit Oregon one of these days. I head it is very beautiful.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I forgot to mention my other hobby. I was a private pilot for over 30 years, owned two atrplanes and accumulated 3000+ hours of flight time.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I forgot to mention my other hobby. I was a private pilot for over 30 years, owned two atrplanes and accumulated 3000+ hours of flight time.

If you're an engineer for an aerospace company then I think the rule book says that you also have to be a pilot. :D I was in a Cessna Skyhawk partnership with a couple other engineers and then we sold it and got a Skylane and then got my instrument rating and commercial license. I quit flying in the early 90's after I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. It was a lot of fun (and expense) and we enjoyed flying to various places around the country especially to Colorado to go skiing ... almost forgot about another expensive hobby that I gave up many years ago. I've finally settled on a couple low cost hobbies .... photography and woodturning. :rolleyes: :D

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
A lot of parallels there Bill. I too was instrument rated and have flown in all of the lower 48 States as well as Canada and the Bahamas. I have a few hours in a Skylane, a solid fun
plane to fly. I owned a Beech Musketeer, initially with a partner. I later bought a Moody 201 that I flew for about 20 years.

Back