• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dennis Peterson

Hello, I just joined this week and looked around the site and liked what I saw. loads of talent here, and looks like a fun place to check in and learn. I am a furniture maker of 35 years and now I am looking for a bowl lathe. I have a Powermatic 90 that has served me well for spindle turning. I will be keeping it because it works great for spindles.

Thanks for such a great online site.
all the Best to the members
Dennis.

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Dennis. There are lots of lathes to choose from for turning bowls. I think that a variable-speed lathe with a 16-inch swing and 2 HP motor would be a good choice for a bowl lathe.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Dennis. There are lots of lathes to choose from for turning bowls. I think that a variable-speed lathe with a 16-inch swing and 2 HP motor would be a good choice for a bowl lathe.
Hi Bill and other members. Bill I am looking at a used PM3520b lathe i saw on Facebook MP. Going to take a look at it next week. Photos show its in excellent shape, a pen turner bought it new and is now selling it. So not much hard use. Does not have the PM 18" extension, which i need but maby i could get a used one from one of the members here.
Any way excited to go look at it,next week.

Hi Gerald, yes the Powermatic 3520b is a nice lathe, I looked at a used one 2 days ago and it was in very nice shape, came with all the org. parts that it was shipped with and also came with the PM light set up and he added that in no cost after we haggled around price. He only turned mostly pens and a few bowls so was in excellent low use condition. Maybe it will last as long as my PM 90 lathe i have had for 35 years.
Very blessed to have the "NEW" lathe its got some serious weight to it. Will not have to go to the gym this week, the lathe was my work-out for the week.

Do not know why one would buy a PM3520b lathe to turn pens, but if he was blessed with it good for him.
Getting the Gold 3520b set up towards the end of the week and on the weekend and will post a photo of it next week.

Back