• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Design a Bowling Ball swivel vise

Anyone ever build a bowling ball swivel vice? I want to make one; picked up the idea from the video attached , go to about 14:45 and see it. I purchased a ball at the thrift shop today for $15 and want to get some 1-1/4"-8 thread and use my stronghold chuck I have on my laguna lathe. Just wondering if anyone has tried to make one. Hope to use it for sanding and start some texturing and carving sometime soon on bowls and hollow forms. Rather make one than spend the big bucks. More fun.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGiD27q2iRc

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 12.15.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 12.15.34 PM.png
    552.4 KB · Views: 60

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I looked into building one years ago. Never had a way to bend the circles to fit on either side of the ball. Doing the rest of the work just involves welding and drilling. I ended up buying a carving stand from bestwoodtools.com. there are several others around.

I have the bowling ball setting here for that specific purpose and just never got around to to. I have a smaller metal version that works for holding most of the things I do. I used to do some pretty large pieces and the bowling ball version would be perfect. Regardless It's a pretty ingenious design.

I looked into building one years ago. Never had a way to bend the circles to fit on either side of the ball. Doing the rest of the work just involves welding and drilling. I ended up buying a carving stand from bestwoodtools.com. there are several others around.
Hi John, no curving anything. The supports are whacked out of wood with a bandsaw. Mounted on a lift table, you can position anything in any position easily.

Came across this idea on Pinterest. Scaled drawing and trying this design with a few modifications. My biggest problem is finding 1-1/4"-8tpi threaded rod. Want to use my stronghold chuck from the lathe for clamping. McMaster Carr carries it but only shipping to businesses in Canada. Still looking and modifying. Made a finished Cad drawing to make sure everything fits perfectly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 4.05.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 4.05.45 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The one I liked was 2 metal rings that were squeezed together with 3 bolts. Loosen one bolt and move the ball and then tighten. Wouldn't let you put the piece horizontal but you could position it anywhere above what I'll call the equator.

I too was inspired by Jerry Bennet's barn tour video to make a bowling ball vise. Plans are few and far between. I found a free ball and plan to turn a couple of rings from 1" plywood to clamp the ball with 3 or 4 carriage bolts. The rings will be oriented 45 degrees off of level so that the post can tilt from vertical to horizontal as seen in this no longer available Jerry-Rig vise. Jerry-Rig I am considering getting a StewMac shop stand to mount it on. adjustable pedestal For threaded rod look to McMaster Carr threaded rod

I have a Lee Valley carver's vise which is quite capable with posts available to hold most turning chucks and faceplates carver's vise. Its only weakness is that is not really made to hold position under mallet blows. If you intend to shape your work without beating on it the bowling ball may be unnecessary.

Last edited:
Here is my prototype model. Works great so far. Hardest part was finding adapter for chuck for a laguna lathe. Threaded rod 1/4"-8 hard to find in Canada, we have all metric threads. Was going to cost me $80 for one foot of thread. Finally got a wall hanging adapter for a stronghold chuck from Woodchuckers.com for $30. Also used one of my flange adapters and screwed the unit together onto a 1-1/4"-7 threaded rod. It screws on far enough to tighten and you can also use the Allen screws to fix the flange onto the rod. Entire project cost me $45, $15 for the bowling ball. The rest from scraps and old rod I had kept for years.

Attachments

• IMG_5241 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5241 Medium.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 35
Came across this idea on Pinterest. Scaled drawing and trying this design with a few modifications. My biggest problem is finding 1-1/4"-8tpi threaded rod. Want to use my stronghold chuck from the lathe for clamping. McMaster Carr carries it but only shipping to businesses in Canada. Still looking and modifying. Made a finished Cad drawing to make sure everything fits perfectly.
Buy a 1x8 TPI to 1 1/4 x 8 adapter and use a 1x8 Bolt or piece of All Thread To mount in the ball.

Back