• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dick Sing, Using calipers on the wood lathe

Turning accurate or duplicate parts on the wood lathe can seem like a challenge, however, with the right tools and some good instruction, it is certainly achievable! In this video, Dick Sing shows how to use calipers on the wood lathe to get better, more accurate results.
View: https://youtu.be/cgijAnnaHhA

Cheers!

Chris DeHut

Thanks John,

I am surprised by how few viewers there are though. Perhaps woodturning isn't very popular anymore?

Chris
Chris - I think folks are:
1. Too busy
2. On information overload

For instance, I signed-up for the AAW Symposium this year and found out I watched bits and pieces of maybe 3 demonstrations?? I intended to go back and watch the replay event, but didn't really spend the time necessary. I used to read books too, when I had some downtime in the evening, now I find myself surfing around on the internet instead. Go figure.....:rolleyes:

Chris - I think folks are:
1. Too busy
2. On information overload

For instance, I signed-up for the AAW Symposium this year and found out I watched bits and pieces of maybe 3 demonstrations?? I intended to go back and watch the replay event, but didn't really spend the time necessary. I used to read books too, when I had some downtime in the evening, now I find myself surfing around on the internet instead. Go figure.....:rolleyes:
Chris, don’t align watch count with appreciation to closely. They are a nice addition to our group and still very informative. Thanks for your efforts.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I agree with the information overload thing. the last year or so, all of a sudden I notice "woodworker" youtube channels have exploded (and some folks, IMHO went full time youtube much too fast, as once their main interesting content they started with is used up, what follows loses much interest, even though they may not lose subscribers) Also noticed, at least around here, for every "new" youtube video that seems to come up (Some are older but just recently gained viewer traction so they come up more) along the lines of "Top 5 (or 10) woodworking projects that sell" , within 3 weeks, suddenly there are a couple dozen people on facebook marketplace advertising the same thing for sale...

I agree with the information overload thing. the last year or so, all of a sudden I notice "woodworker" youtube channels have exploded (and some folks, IMHO went full time youtube much too fast, as once their main interesting content they started with is used up, what follows loses much interest, even though they may not lose subscribers) Also noticed, at least around here, for every "new" youtube video that seems to come up (Some are older but just recently gained viewer traction so they come up more) along the lines of "Top 5 (or 10) woodworking projects that sell" , within 3 weeks, suddenly there are a couple dozen people on facebook marketplace advertising the same thing for sale...
One thing I do is spend my free time watching quality turners like Dick Sing and a few others that we know from the AAW. Too many pretenders out there who don't know what they are doing and teaching folks the wrong way to wood turn.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks John,

I am surprised by how few viewers there are though. Perhaps woodturning isn't very popular anymore?

Chris

@Chris DeHut,

There have been 104 views in the past two days which I believe is pretty impressive for a woodturning forum. I decided to move the Dick Sing videos from the Woodturning Discussion Forum to the Getting Started forum because I felt like the target audience was primarily new turners. I also broke up the original long thread into separate threads for each video as this would increase the visibility and searchability of individual videos. If the videos had all been left in one thread that would have been a sure-fire recipe for oblivion for any videos after the first two or three videos in the thread. I agree with the comments posted about burnout. After countless Zoom meetings and even more online videos, all thanks to the pandemic I've just about reached the saturation point. Like John Dillon, I signed up for the AAW symposium but only watched two live demos and none during the rerun period.

Chris, please keep the videos coming. Although I'm not new to woodworking, I'm new to the world of modern woodturning. I've found the Dick Sing videos informative and enjoyable.

Back