• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Did you receive any turning gifts?

I was gifted a Vicmarc VM120 direct thread chuck with 7 3/4" jaws. Woo-hoo! I'll still wind up paying the credit card bill for it, but that's besides the point! I hope you all enjoy whichever holiday(s) you celebrate. Happy turning.

P.S. I also received the sweatshirt pictured below. It'll definitely see good wear.

Attachments

• IMG_7121.jpg
    IMG_7121.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I was gifted a Vicmarc VM120 direct thread chuck with 7 3/4" jaws. Woo-hoo! I'll still wind up paying the credit card bill next month, but that's besides the point! I hope you all enjoy whichever holiday(s) you celebrate. Happy turning.
Great chuck I enjoy mine
You must have been good :)
Sure beats a stocking full of coal or a shoe filled with rotten potatoes

Last edited:
Turning gifts? Sort of ... SWMBO gave me a set of Powermatic's LED lights ... one for the PM3520C and a second for the PM2014.

My daughter bought me a Turner's Edge (Robust) 1" NRS. She thought it was cool that Robust is only about 20 miles from where she lives in Madison WI, and that the photo on the home page of their web site has three women woodturners.

Had a great day with the family. They gave me a couple books including "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohllenben and a safety helmet for chainsaw work.

View attachment 48855
Fantastic, maybe life altering book. Absolutely strong recommendation for anyone, but especially those of us who play with wood. If you like it, "The Overstory" is another fabulous and extremely well written book.

Well, years ago, I bought my first lathe, a little 4 speed Atlas, as a Christmas present for myself. Best gift I ever got myself. No other presents really, I have pretty much all I need, except maybe more wood. Trying to figure out crush grind mills for now.....

robo hippy

I got a couple real nice items for... oh wait... everything I got was for my telescopes.... LOL, I guess I didn't get any turning items this year.

I did give a few bowls I turned from olive wood as gifts, does that count?

John, I am too old to get up on the roof and clean out the gutters. It was costly, but got the leaf filter things installed a few years back. It was interesting with the ice over we recently had, the ice kind of plugged up the filter stuff, and I had lots of ice cycles.... Not the huge ones that would require hard hats though....

robo hippy

Robo,

Now you need to have some heat trace cable installed on the gutters and roof line so it does not freeze up.

I love mine. Very nice lathe.
Hey Rusty -- Did your Envoy have fine machining grooves inside the spindle? Or did I get a defective lathe?

I've got similar grooves on the spur center that came with it, and on a new Axminster spur center, too. The grooves catch on each other, making it impossible to knock the center out with the knockout bar.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 8
Hey Rusty -- Did your Envoy have fine machining grooves inside the spindle? Or did I get a defective lathe?

I've got similar grooves on the spur center that came with it, and on a new Axminster spur center, too. The grooves catch on each other, making it impossible to knock the center out with the knockout bar.

Thanks!
I had to build a heavier knock out bar for mine. Similar issue here. Made it a couple of inches longer and used 5/16" stainless steel bar stock. Much heavier duty than the OEM. Added a handle to the headstock tommy-bar while I was at it.
20230322_025006 (1).jpg 20230512_132655.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I had to build a heavier knock out bar for mine. Similar issue here. Made it a couple of inches longer and used 5/16" stainless steel bar stock. Much heavier duty than the OEM. Added a handle to the headstock tommy-bar while I was at it.
View attachment 52953 View attachment 52954

Monty, I wish my shop was this organized. I try but can't seem to get it right. :)

Monty, I wish my shop was this organized. I try but can't seem to get it right. :)
It's been a recent effort of a few years. For the most part, everything for the lathe is within arms reach of the lathe. Toolbox 2 steps away. Bandsaw and sharpening are 3 steps away. Workbench 5 steps.

A big part of the organization effort was changing the workspace utilization from a general use shop to more of a focused turning studio. Making that decision was difficult, I thinned out the herd, sold tools, stored others, and got rid of the clutter. Had to be willing to make changes.

Thanks!
Sarah that is not acceptable IMO, I would not take that, MT both male and female should be mirror smooth.

The spindle MT should have been ground to a smooth finish, it looks to me like it is just turned.

Here are a couple pictures that show the finish I would expect.

Oneway live center.jpg
MT drive center.jpgLive center.jpg

Back