• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dimitris Psilopatis

Ευχαριστώ Μάικ για την ερώτηση ! Στην Ελλάδα κυκλοφορεί συνήθως η ελιά που λατρεύουν οι Έλληνες όμως υπάρχουν όλα τα είδη ξύλων ευρωπαϊκά ,Αμερικής και τροπικά ! πρόσφατα γύρισα banksia από την Αυστραλία σε βάση σφενδάμι !

Thanks Mike for the question! In Greece, the olive that is loved by the Greeks is usually sold, but there are all types of European, American and tropical wood! I recently returned banksia from Australia on a maple base!

@Dimitris Psilopatis Welcome! That is very nice olive wood turning. I like turning olive wood, but not that common in the midwest America.
Thanks for the welcome to the forum William.Since you like the olive tree, I will send you a photo of a work of mine from a Greek olive tree that has volcanic stone on the last rings.

Attachments

• IMG_1116 Ελιά -volcano.JPG
    IMG_1116 Ελιά -volcano.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 37
Dimitris,

Those are some nice looking pieces that you turned!
Olive wood is one of my favorites to turn when I have it available.
Thanks for your comment Mike. If you liked the olive wood, I will try in the future to make olive wood for you and the forum. For now, I am sending you a photo of a natural edge bowl made of acacia wood with natural decor.

Attachments

• IMG_1762 .JPG
    IMG_1762 .JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 21

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello. Today I would like to send you a photo of a 28cm diameter maple wood platter with colors from Santorini and volcanic stone.
Hi Dimitris......you should start your own member gallery by clicking this link, then clicking the orange tab titled "Add media" in the upper right. That way you'll have a more permanent presence on the forums.

If I may speak for everyone here.....we are anxious to hear, and communicate with other turners from around the world...

-o-

Welcome Dimitris,
My daughter, who is also a woodturner, is in Athens right now enjoying the tourist sites. Is there a good source for olive wood in Athens where she can grab a chunk to bring back for me?
Jay

Hi Dimitris......you should start your own member gallery by clicking this link, then clicking the orange tab titled "Add media" in the upper right. That way you'll have a more permanent presence on the forums.

If I may speak for everyone here.....we are anxious to hear, and communicate with other turners from around the world...

-o-
Thank you very much for your interest Odie. apparently I don't have permission to post on the forum yet because I haven't completed a month as a new member.
Thanks for the likes too.

Greetings Dimitris Psilopatis, you currently DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION to post messages in the Marketplace or the Off Topic restricted access forums. Once you have been a forum member for at least 30 days AND have at least 10 posts in the discussion forums, your status will automatically update to "Established Member" and you will be able to post in those two restricted access areas. Posting images or comments in the gallery does not count towards your total number of posts. Likewise, posting in Converswations (AKA, private messages) does not count towards your total post count.

Welcome Dimitris,
My daughter, who is also a woodturner, is in Athens right now enjoying the tourist sites. Is there a good source for olive wood in Athens where she can grab a chunk to bring back for me?
Jay
Thanks for the greeting Jay. I'm glad your daughter is in Athens. Of course, she can pass by my house and I will give her a gift of olive wood dried in the north for two years, ready for turning.
phone: +30 6944501359

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Thank you very much for your interest Odie. apparently I don't have permission to post on the forum yet because I haven't completed a month as a new member.
Thanks for the likes too.

Greetings Dimitris Psilopatis, you currently DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION to post messages in the Marketplace or the Off Topic restricted access forums. Once you have been a forum member for at least 30 days AND have at least 10 posts in the discussion forums, your status will automatically update to "Established Member" and you will be able to post in those two restricted access areas. Posting images or comments in the gallery does not count towards your total number of posts. Likewise, posting in Converswations (AKA, private messages) does not count towards your total post count.
I believe he meant to start your gallery - If you look at the top left of the browser window you should see a "Photo Gallery" if you click that little down arrow next to it, there is a link to "Add Media" where you can upload your pictures? As I read the above permissions language it talks about posting in Off Topic and Marketplace , If it is giving you that message when you try to Add Media as I note above, then there must be something wrong with the forum, You'd probably then need to ask a moderator about that (Bill Boehme is one of the moderators, I believe.. or Chris Fairbanks is the "geek squad" of the forum.... )

If you create your own gallery then your images will start showing along the top bar of the forum home page like everyone else's do...

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Hello, I'm Dimitris Psilopatis and I love the wood lathe and I like to create elegant objects!
Welcome, Dimitris. You are doing some very nice work. I also agree withe Odie and Brian about posting to the Gallery.
I'm surprised one the moderators hasn't moved your post to the "Introductions" category under "Woodturning Forums" instead of under "Woodturning Discussion Forum". I know - sounds complicated at first and I'm not sure if you can do that yourself ... probably not.

I think he wanted to start your gallery - If you look in the upper left corner of the browser window you should see a "Photo Gallery" If you click that little down arrow next to it, there's a link to "Add Media " where can you upload your photos? As I read the license language above, it talks about posting to Off Topic and Marketplace. I have to ask a moderator about this (Bill Boehme is one of the moderators, I believe... or Chris Fairbanks is the "geek team" of the forum... )

If you create your own gallery, then your images will start appearing on the top bar of the forum homepage like everyone else's...

Thank you very much, Brian, you guided me in detail and I was able to upload Santorini.

Welcome Dimitris. You are doing a very nice job. I also agree with Odie and Brian about the Gallery post.

I'm surprised the moderators haven't moved your post to the "Introductions" category under the "Woodturning Forums" section instead of the "Woodturning Discussion Forums" section. I know - it sounds complicated at first and I'm not sure if you can do it yourself ... probably not.

Thanks so much for the welcome and comment, Tom. I finally managed to upload Santorini.

Back