• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Displaying work at home

View attachment 61818View attachment 61819View attachment 61820
This is my old school built in entertainment center built about 16 years ago to accommodate the largest Tube type TV available, of locally sourced northern red oak finished with Watco Danish oil medium walnut to match all of the other woodwork in the house. The turnings shown are all by me personally except the plate above the TV and that is by Linda Ferber which I received at a Christmas gift exchange at the MWA meeting in 2005.
Don - you might be able to fit another turning or two in there if you use a large shoehorn (forcibly) :)

I hope this doesn't sound morbid... I am not a prolific woodturner/woodworker like those of you with large collections of your own work. For me, when I create in a moment of inspiration (however often or seldom that may be), I gain the most enjoyment from the process of making something and then showing it around to those in my life. When someone demonstrates a genuine liking for the widget, I simply tell them to keep it and enjoy it, a gift to them. I've got a small collection of items I've made over time here at home, but when the day comes that someone else has to think of what to do with my stuff, I don't want them to be burdened with it all. I'd rather see the smile on someone's face with my own eyes as I hand it to them, instead of my stuff become fodder at an estate sale with 50 cent masking tape labels.

Start giving that stuff away folks. Like it or not, it'll have to go someday anyway. Make it your goal to let visitors to your home take one or two of your pieces. For free. It feels really good to do so, and it will be more meaningful to both of you in the here and now instead of after you're gone.

Hahah. Since I started collecting vessels 40 years ago and only started turning a year ago, my wife won’t let me keep any more bowls or hollow forms—I’ve given away virtually every bowl I’ve made. But here’s one display I have at home on floating shelves. None of the pieces were made by me.
That's quite the collection you've got there. Beautiful, and I bet there are some famous names on those shelves.

Back