• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dissecting, cutting up into blanks, a large Spanish Cedar Stump...

I would like to repurpose this stump I came across. How ever as its not for firewood, how do I approach it for turning. I have an old Stihl 26 inch chainsaw.. Thanks in advance, Kelly.

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    661.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    665.8 KB · Views: 22

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
it looks like lots of small pieces. lots of boxes, ornament balls, weed pots,

The saw cuts have reduced the options.
might be a decent bowl blank on the far side. A natural edge bowl could have an interesting rim.

I marked a couple of hollow forms I would investigate because of the interesting natural edge rims.
however I’d need convincing they are worth cutting
The one on left looks to have too deep of a saw cut But maybe not.
One on the right looks like leader groaning against the main trunk. if it is it won’t be connected structurally to the main trunk.

watch Out for dirt and rocks. They eat chainsaw teeth.
2DF3F28B-AA2E-4099-8C19-2F621ACD5524.jpeg

8C11517C-BCD5-4461-8C1B-23FE86934BA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back