• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Do I need a chuck for my lathe?

I have a Jet 1014VSI.
I'm starting to think I need a chuck. I will be turning pens,and my wife will be turning bottle stoppers. Her bottle stopper kit came in with a mandrel, but that won't fit in the headstock.
What kind of chuck do you folks recommend for a couple of rank newbies? There sure are a lot of them, and pricey?
Thanks for your help.
ernie

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
A very good bargain brand chuck is the H6265 from Grizzly. It is a copy of the Vicmarc chuck for half the price. It is a good chuck. I use it alternately with my Vicmarc chucks. The only real difference is it is a little more sloppy in the gears and it rusts easier. The slop hasn't hurt perfomance once it's tightened up. Keep wax on it to prevent the rust. The locking handle is cheaper plastic so if it's dropped it will break. The vicmarc handles are something like nylon and a lot tougher.

bottle stopper mandrel

it really depends on what you want to do. chucks are very handy, but are a luxury not a neccessity. without a picture of the bottle stopper mandrel i would venture to say that to hold it you would need a "drill" chuck with a #2 morse taper (the jet 1014 has a #2 morse taper in the headstock). preferably one that has a threaded hole in the morse taper so that you can make a drawbar to hold it securely in the headstock.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
ernie,

this is one of those dilemmas in woodturning.

I can't think of anything you can't turn using spur drive, face plate, and wooden chucks.

I've turned pens on a drill bit run into block mounted to a face faceplate.
Dale Nish described this in an article before pen mandrels were common place.

The dilema is the wooden fixtures are not easy to make.

sooner or later you will want a chuck.
be sure you have a good sharpening system and a few good tool first.

I own a bunch of chuck but use face plates and wooden chucks a lot.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Is a chuck necessary? "No"

When I teach or when I do demos I almost never use a chuck. Some people mis-interpret this and think I have an opposition to chucks. I don't!

I like to demonstrate a minimalist's approach. I always try to remember to say: "...the next step is to decide whether to use a chuck or a faceplate..." Then I show them how to prepare the piece for either (I acutally show several ways).

In my own shop I seldom use a chuck. I have four of them so it's not a cost or availability issue. It's just that for the kind of turning I do I believe that I get less vibration and a more secure hold using an appropriately sized face plate and proper screws.

Don Geiger

You can fiddle and fuss at mounting or you can drop a few bucks and spend more time turning. The scroll type didn't exist when I started but I would not be without now. Of course it has its drawbacks, the most frustrating of which is the changing of jaws to suit the hold at hand. Why you need at least two....

As others have pointed out so well, a chuck is an accessory and as such, usually optional. As with so many other things in life, there's quite often more than 1 way to do something.

OTOH, if you nonetheless are leaning toward buying a chuck, consider whether you'll also want extra jaws (perhaps later, if not right away) to make that chuck more versatile. Learn what you can about dovetailed and serrated (jaw types) holding methods as they relate to what you'll hold in the chuck's jaws, based on the types of objects you'll want to turn.

Previously recommended chucks may be every bit as good or better--I have no experience with any other in its price class--but Technatool's Nova Precision Midi has been serving me well since I started turning. The extra jaws I've purchased for it will also work with any of the larger Nova chucks if I ever decide/need to upsize. And for a few more days, it's available at probably the lowest price I've seen anywhere within the last 2 years.

Using "tommy bars" to scroll the jaws instead of a T-handled "key" and turning what's sometimes described as the "wrong way" (counter clockwise) to tighten are the primary criticisms offered by some folks. When you're new and not already accustomed to a different system, my advice is weigh the convenience vs. the price, quality, upgradability, and company product and customer service reputation. As always, opinions are subject to change if an issue arises, but it seemed like a good value at the time and I can still recommend it today.

I have to agree with John Lucas on the Grizzly H6265. I've been using one on my Delta 46-460 MIDI for over a year and it has served me well. In fact, I may buy an H6267 which is identical except for the larger spindle on the Laguna 18-36 that I plan to order today. That way I can use the extra two sets of jaws that I have for my current chuck.

Speaking of the jaws, I purchased both the 4" Dovetail Jaws and 1" Pin Jaws from Grizzly. They are currently both in stock but I had to wait nearly 2 months for the 4" jaws and 3 or 4 months for the 1" jaws at the time of my purchase.

Edit, 01/21/19: Based on John Lucas' experiences stated in a later post I'll withdraw my recommendation on the Grizzly chuck. In fact, I just ordered a Vicmarc for my new lathe.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the HTC100 - which is one of the Hurricane Chucks (www.thewoodturningstore.com) and I'm thoroughly happy with it. Very smooth operation, almost zero runout, and a closed back to keep the gears clean. They are nicely priced as well. For sure it's no OneWay or Vicmarc, but then again I'm no pro woodturner (yet!). If you are budget conscious it's worth a look. There are also plenty of accessories (including pen jaws) available.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
This is an old post. I take back what I said about the Grizzly. About 3 years ago it started sticking. I took it apart and the pinion gears were worn. They dont even mate properly with the ring gear which is why they were. I ordered new gears and had to file them to get them to work properly. I also had a other brand vicmarc copy and had the same problem and the chuck was maybe 5 years old. They replaced the opinions for free but had the same problem getti g them to fit. The internals on these 2 chucks are slightly different a d won't swap.with each other or with Vicmarc. My Vicmarc chucks are years older and still look like new on the inside with no wear at all. Long story short, save your money and buy Vicmarc. They will last a lifetime.

Hi John,
Thanks, I'm glad you posted this. I have a Grizzly H6265 that I've used lightly for about a year and a half. I was about to buy an H6267 to fit a Laguna 18/36 that is on order. However, I ordered the Vicmarc based on your experiences. That way I'll still have jaw interchangeability until I sell my old Delta 46-460, without the extra jaws.

This is an old post. I take back what I said about the Grizzly... My Vicmarc chucks are years older and still look like new on the inside with no wear at all. Long story short, save your money and buy Vicmarc. They will last a lifetime.

Back