• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Don Spires

New member, old turner. Self taught on one of the $150 Duracraft (Craftsman) lathes back in the 80s. Had one skew and a large bowl gouge. Still managed to learn, not mangle too much wood or myself. In the 90s turned and even gave a few classes with The Tennessee Woodturners. One of the few spindle turners. Have my dream shop built (30’x50’) for turning, woodwork and blacksmithing. My lathes include an 1940s Fay and Eagen, a small Delta and a large Ricon. Turning interests change over the years, Windsor chairs and tables gave way to bowls to powderhorns. My main focus this month is banded powderhorns which has turnings in wood, horn and antler. Came here to learn more, see what is new and ask a few questions.
791F3306-EBCA-4709-98BA-75CEA378A615.jpeg

Back