• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Don Stafford

I started turning about 10 years ago while working full-time as an engineer when introduced to turning by my best friend of 40 years, Doc Smith, in the Atlanta area. I was immediately bitten by the bug and pretty quickly bought a Jet Mini lathe and my first tools, discovering immediately that the lathe was the cheapest part of turning. I turned on a limited-time basis until about a year and a half ago, acquiring a Jet 1642 in the meantime. I have loved working with wood since I took shop in Jr High about 60 years ago and have done periodic flat work over the years, building personal furniture and such, and still love flat work, but find turning to be much more inspiring. I was fortunate to grow up with a father who could fix anything except a car and who enjoyed sharing that knowledge with me. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area, after getting my start in Eastern Kentucky and spent substantial time in the Atlanta and Seattle areas before returning to the Tampa Bay area in 2001. I am largely self- and Doc Smith-taught, but have taken one week-long turning course at John C. Campbell. I love trying new things, so turn all kinds of items, vases, platters, hollow forms, bowls, tealight holders, bottle stoppers, etc. and have tried a couple of pens, but find I am a bit short on patience for pen-turning. I am far from satisfied with my skills and have joined the Florida West Coast Woodturners, attended the AAW virtual symposium, and am attending as many virtual demos as I can manage. I am starting a class at the Dunedin Fine Art Center next month to bolster my basic tool-handling skills, as that is where I currently feel the weakest. I also need to learn more about delivering high quality finishes. My shop (photo included) is in a rental space in Gulfport, FL.
shop.jpg
I would like to be able to sell enough work to support my turning, but as I am otherwise comfortably retired, do not need to make a living at it. I like to turn both utility and art items and prefer to work with native (or adopted) American woods. I have enclosed a few samples of my work. Every time I open the AAW magazine I find the work shown to be daunting. I am hoping to find another turner in South Pinellas County, FL with whom to collaborate and to share learning opportunities and design ideas.
Lidded Box.jpg Distressed Oak Bowl.jpg platter.jpg Ambrosia Maple Tealight.jpg Winged Bowl.jpg Box Elder Tulip.jpg 6 inch Salt and Pepper Mills.jpg

Thanks John. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning. For instance, today I started out making a platter with an integral dip well and wound up making a frisbee and a bowl. Funny how too thin can sneak up on you.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum.
I may have seen you at West coast last year.
I visit the west coast club once in a while.
The last time there was a big thunderstorm that added interest to the art center.

Last edited:
Not sure whether it is Sherry or Al Hockenbery, but thank you for the welcome, in either case. I'm trying to put a face with the name and not succeeding, but we certainly may have met. Are you a member of tri-county?

Lamar, Thanks for the welcome. I am already finding the woodturning community very friendly and helpful. I am learning almost faster than I can take it in.

Aloha right back at you Emiliano and thanks for the welcome. I have been to Maui once on an inter-island cruise, but my favorite island was Kauai, where we spent a week. I have a question for you. Do the woods that you turn grow in Hawaii or do you have to import them from elsewhere?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Aloha right back at you Emiliano and thanks for the welcome. I have been to Maui once on an inter-island cruise, but my favorite island was Kauai, where we spent a week. I have a question for you. Do the woods that you turn grow in Hawaii or do you have to import them from elsewhere?
Hello Don. I have access to lots of Acacia Koa. We have more wood than we can use. All local... Kauai is ok. But there is a reason we call Maui "No Ka Oi" Means the best.

Thanks John. I suspect you will find that TI has changed somewhat. For example, the townhome in which I live was not build until 1979. Where are you in southeast Tennessee?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Watched your live demo yesterday. Nice job on turning the bowl and useful references for materials and tools that you find work best for you.
Thank you Don! I'm always happy to hear feedback, especially when is good! LOL. Very strange not to see the cruise ships arrive at the harbor. I sure do hope things go back to normal soon. If you ever come back to Maui, make sure to stop by my shop. Aloha

Thanks John. I suspect you will find that TI has changed somewhat. For example, the townhome in which I live was not build until 1979. Where are you in southeast Tennessee?
Cleveland, TN. We were at TI on the heels of Hurricane Agnes. Bay bridge was under about 10 feet of sand and had to go around the bay. Checked into the motel...shuffleboard court was under 6 feet of sand. You could tell by the lights sticking up about three feet above the sand!

Back