• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust Collector Improvement

I have seen a lot of posts lately on personal protection from fine dust particles - such as the Trend, respirators, dust masks, etc. These units can all have a place in our shops and will assist in protecting our health but it is always considered a "last resort" to use personal protection in safety/health situations. A much better solution is engineering controls.

I like many here have just a "hobby" shop and did not have room for a large cyclone system so a few years back I purchased a small dust collector on wheels with a 30 micron bag. I hooked this up to a trash can seperator and was in business - or so I thought! I noticed that while I collected a lot of shavings in the can, the fine dust still was all over the shop. I have an air cleaner running also and it was not able to stop the settling of dust that could harm my health. Recently I started noticing that when I would turn on the dust collector the bag would inflate and you could see a "cloud" of dust come off of the bag - fine dust bad for my lungs!! I also noticed that my suction was loosing power and I was not catching as much of the fine dust.

It was obvious the culprite was the 30 micron woven bag that came with the dust collector. I started doing a lot of research on the bags for dust collectors and realized that a woven bag was the wrong textile substrate for this operation, a felt bag works much better and will stop the fines. I found a company call American Fabric Filters http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/dustbags.htm

Upon calling them and talking with their customer service people it was obvious that they knew thier "stuff"! In fact I had to go home and obtain lots of information for them about my system before they could make recommendations. Not only was the 30 micron bag the wrong type - it was way, way too small to handle the airflow. AFF wanted to maintain my airflow when filtering just like the blower had no bag on it so they upsized the bag to about double the dimensions (really upsizes the cubic inches!!). The bag I got was not cheap but I really got a high quality, well made bag for my money that has solved a lot of my problems!! I have much higher suction now at the tools and the fines are NOT escaping the bag. The bag is made to let the fines cake and then fall to the bottom when the dust collector is turned off so a new layer can cake upon the next run. They also installed a zipper opening on the side so I can clean it out easily!! I have seen NO FINES come out of this bag when it is turned on - that alone is a major improvement. I plan on blowing down the shop soon and will let you know how much I see difference in redeposition of the fines I see in the shop after it is cleaned out thoroughly.

AFF has lots of information posted on their new web site about dust collection - see the right hand lower corner on the page linked above. If you are having trouble with your dust collector controlling the fines - give AFF or another good bag company a call and see if a new bag system will improve your system as much as it did mine!! I was turning some tool handles out of cherry last night and left off the respirator on purpose, when I quit there was no nasel irritation or sneezing - major improvments!! Lets control this dust before it hurts our lungs!!

How do you mount your dust collector to your lathe?

I have a 2-micron Jet dust collector that I've used with a planer and table saw for years. (My son has asthma so cleanliness is paramount in the shop.)

I mounted a hood over the lathe and connected a 4" hose to it, but that was marginally effective and only worked with spindles. No luck with bowls.

I've taken to using a bungie cord to fasten the hose under the tool rest to generate a large airflow at the point of cutting. Heavier shavings which come off the piece with energy escape, but fine dust is pretty much drawn into the hose and canister.

Have you found a way of effectively catching dust with your lathe? I'm always open to new ideas.

I use a dust collection hood I purchased from Highland Hardware in Atlanta that mounts on a horizontal 2x4 behind the lathe. Allows motion length of lathe and adjust in/out up/down on bracket. Not perfect but when sanding you can watch the fines pull into it now.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Charlie Harley said:
How do you mount your dust collector to your lathe?

Charlie,

My hose end is a set of loc tite units with a flared end piece. It has been nice because it is rigid but can be moved easily along the length of the lathe, and positioned to best draw in dust depending on what I am doing. It pulls in almost all of my sanding dust (though I have the same leaking bag issue mentioned earlier in this post) but I still use the Trend for added safety when sanding or producing fine particles with a tool. Otherwise, when I am making shavings I don't run the DC.

Thanks for the information Wilford, I checked this company out and ordered one of their dust collection bags for my 2 hp. Grizzley dust collector. What a improvement! My dust collector's vacuum has doubled. I am very happy with the purchase and wish I had known of this company's product a long time ago. Thanks again for the heads up.

Website
www.laymar-crafts.co.uk
Wilford your observations were similar to mine and I started by moving my Vac System out of the main work area, but I could still do with finding a UK Supplier for the type of Bag you are now using.

Collecting Dust at the Lathe is not that easy and I have both a Collection System and a Down Draught System using the basic principles of an Air Curtain.

This in association with my Racal Respirator has made my working enviroment as clean as I can hope for, but I am always looking for ways to improve it.

I have my system detailed in a couple of Articles on my Web Site in the Hints and Tips Section plus some of my observations on Dust from the Lathe in the Techniques Section.

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Richard

I have to say the 2 micron bag really does the trick. I didn't even put on the 30 micron bag that came with my Jet. I did see one other filter at our local equipment dealer, it was Bench Dog or something like that, but it was a round, rigid filter rated at 2 microns. It was round with a metal outside and looked kind of like a car's airfilter. The difference for me comes in my carving of the turnings. Before I had the Jet, I would go through 2 dust masks on one project with a box fan blowing and a ceiling mounted air filter. I run a hose directly from the dust collector to a stand right beside my carving. I attached a flange on the open end to increase hose effeciency. Now I go through 1 mask for every 2 projects, and I get rid of them due to the hot conditions right now. The next project/purchase will be a down draft table.

Glad this helped!

Tom,
I am glad the information helped you. Enjoy your new bag. A new benefit on mine I have found is that it does not have to be emptied nearly as often and the old leaky one!

Richard,
Talk to AFF - I am sure they can work out shipping you a bag to fit your system over the water. While the box mine came in was bulky, you are not talking shipping a heavy item.

Wilford

Wilford Bickel said:
I
I plan on blowing down the shop soon and will let you know how much I see difference in redeposition of the fines I see in the shop after it is cleaned out thoroughly.

How does one clean out the old dust after a new collection system has been installed? A shop dust collector just blows it around. I have a dust coll system (2 YEARS NOW) that does a good job, but the rest of the shop and basement still have some residual, altho alot less than before. :( Gretch

Website
www.woodturner.org
To clean out old dust - it sounds like you may not have access to an outside door with your shop. My "studio" is the garage. To clean it out, both doors get opened and Mr. LeafBlower (gas) does the job in record time. I move the cars first to avoid coating them in dust.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You can get cars in your garage. Man you need more tools. My garage is so full I could hardly park a motorcycle in there. The bicycles hang from the ceiling.

Jeff has the right idea - my shop is a seperate 12 x 24 foot building and I will open the double doors, start at the back wall and let the air hose and compressor go to work. Amazing how much dust collects on top of lights, shelves, etc. That is definitely when I wear my respirator.

I also periodically blow out the shop, although it is not nearly as bad as it was when I did a lot more flat work. Lathes create a fair amount of dust it's not as bad as sanding big flat pieces, plus the DC works better on my lathe than hand sanders. One of the biggest differences I noticed after blowing out my shop was how much brighter the lights are. All my lights have clear wrap around plexi covers but an air hose can blow those out. All my walls are white but it's amazing how much brighter they are after a good cleaning. A complete cleaning once a year or so seems like a new shop.

cleaning

My shop part of the basement has 2 small sliding windows to the north. I have a squirrel fan set up in the basement hallway (that I can move towards the shop) I made a la Wm Young (where is he??-miss him). Would that work by blowing it towards the 16x 16 inch opening for each window?? sq fan (furnace blower given to me) has more umph than the blower on the shop vac. Gretch

Dust Collector Improvemens

My shop is in an old carrage building with almost no headroom so a Onida was out for me. I have lived with a 2HP single stage system for years and was never happy with it. I usually just throw away Penn State flyers but the new 1 micron canister collector along with the plactic bottom bags really improved my collector. Only thing I hate is they have lowered the price $50.00. The other thing I did was throw out the double 4" inlets and changed to a 5" hose on the inlet this "Y" was on. For some reason a 6" hose was less efficient than the 5"?
Ron

Back