• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Eggs

Website
www.simoli.net
Anyone here turn eggs? I'm not really experienced at spindle turning so I thought I'd try an egg. Seemed to me that the mere form might be a little difficult to do. So I pulled a small log off my wood pile and had a go at it. The egg turned out somewhat OK but I quickly realized that I need to do something different with the finish. For my bowls I usually just coat them a couple of times with BLO and the polish them with the Beall system. But the eggs will most likely get handled alot and will need something a little more durable. Any suggestions on what to finish them with that will hold up to constant touching? It needs to ba a finish that can be done off the lathe, since the egg needs off lathe touch up.

I make 'em every Easter season. Good thing to do with chunks, just like that other formerly religious holiday which gives me ornaments from the same pieces.

Poly is fine, shellac probably nicer. I make little egg stands with a triangle of brads driven through some 1/4 ply, spaced to hold the egg on its bottom or top while the stuff dries. Using shellac, probably wouldn't be necessary.

Of course if you finish on the equinox, you can just balance them.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Any suggestions on what to finish them with that will hold up to constant touching?

Polyurethane takes a lot of abuse. The "wipe on" variety is easy to apply. Try Minwax semi gloss or satin wipe on. You can even buff it with your Beall system if you like.

Back