• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Electronic Speed Control

I have a Jet 1642 EVS. The light on the rev counter is always on. Of course showing 0 when the lathe is stopped. My question is : Is the power always on to the EVS. In other word is this thing susceptible to voltage surge, lightening strike, etc?
Thanks,
Stan

Stan,
I have a PM3520B and it will do that as well. However, since I have wired the outlet through a switch, I can switch off the power without unpluging the lathe. As your Jet is made by the same company, I believe the answer to your question is YES.

The quick answer is "yes." I believe that most drives have built-in surge protection for "normal" voltage spikes, however a lightening strike would likely blow past that. The only way to protect your lathe from that kind of surge is to unplug it. Even the gap in a wall switch would be likely to be jumped by lightening.

I unplug my Stubby when the boomers roll through.

Stan

That is normal operation for a Jet 1642. I have one and mine works exactly the same. I have a circuit breaker I could trip to disconnect the circuit but I'd rather unplug it to be safer against power spikes.

Paul

Mark is quite right with his advice regarding lightening strikes. I, too, unplug everything when that's a posibility...and when I'm going to be away from home for any length of time.

Unplugging Your Lathe

In addition to power surges, I unplug mine as a safety precaution. My shop (SWMBO says garage) has some traffic through it. Unplugging, turning the switch off and setting the VS to 0 means that it would take someone 3 concious steps to start the lathe.

It also saves me from starting a piece at a speed I'm not expecting.

John :)

Howdy Stan: You're getting some good advice here so I'll chip in to support it. Unplug your lathe. All three of mine are unplugged at the end of each day or when there is lightning in the area. Those VS controls just cost too much to take a chance.
Ed

I prefer Martin's solution. Big enough gap so that the voltage can't jump it, and less strain on the cord and plug.

Get a guard over those open connections if you have 'em, though.

Unplug

Definitely unplug - even with the Rural Electric surge suppressor at the meter I unplug mine. We have had a number of lightning hits at the farm being rural area and most all of them came through the electric companies neutral/ground wire. Turning off a switch or flipping a breaker leaves the neutral connected - only unplugging will protect on that line!

Wilford

Tony Reynolds said:
Must be one big a?? switch, considering lightning jumps the gap between the clouds and the ground. :eek:

Tony

Cute, but scientifically inaccurate.

cmeyer

Working with computers I have seen surge protectors fried to the point of being melted, but the computer was just fine. I wonder why a good quality surge protector on the line would not provide adequate protection. I do emphasize "good quality." The good ones also provide you with replacement insurance if they fail to protect. Just a thought. I also have a 1642

Cliff Meyer

I know it has been a while since this thread was posted, but as a new owner of a 1642 I decided to contact WMH tool group (Jet suppliers) and put the question to them.

I asked about unplugging or using a large disconnect switch (enclosed knife switch) like you use for outdoor equipment.

Here is the reply I got back.
Cliff,

Thanks for your e-mail. The following information came from our Technical Support Dept.

“He definitely wants to remove the lathe from the power source when not in use, by any of the means he mentioned below to protect from surges that could damage his inverter.â€Â

I guess we now have the information "from the horses mouth" though I doubt they would like that uncomplementary term.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Most lightning strikes are not direct, but rather induced surges in power lines or the result of one of the branches of the main strike. There is nothing that will protect equipment from a direct strike -- the energy level is just too great. And, the gap in a knife switch is no challenge to the strike. I should point out that the gap is not the distance from the blade to the seat, but the distance across the insulation in the mounting hardware which is probably good for a few thousand volts and not millions of volts. Direct strikes on homes are very rare, but I saw what can happen when a friend's home was hit by a direct strike. It not only melted all of the wiring in the home, breaker panel, outlets, fixtures, appliance motors, telephone, televisions, stereo, computers anything else electronic. It also did other major damage such as melting all of the gutters around the house, knocked a six foot hole in one of the bedroom walls where the direct strike occurred, and jumped to the gas meter just outside of the blast hole. The strike blew the gas line in two and ignited the gas that was coming out of the broken line at the meter producing a flame about 4 feet long sort of like a giant sized propane torch. Fortunately, the flame did not ignite anything before they were able to shut off the gas valve which fortunately still worked. Unplugging a lathe with a VFD in such a situation probably would save the motor, but the electronics might not survive the EMP.

Bill

Lightning doesnt always follow the rules

I keep my lathe switched at plug end(220V) and unpluged when not in the shop. I also unplug my 220V tablesaw when I'm leaving the shop. Lightning hit my well casing several years ago and fried the pump(in the well) and wiring back as far as the switch in the basement which had a lightning arrestor installed inside the box. As time went on I discovered several 110V items in the house were also fried, VCR, digital alarm, 3 GFI plugs, half the microwave display and an old drill press motor in the shop. The panel and breakers were fine as were many items on same or similar circuits through out the house. There was no rhyme or reason that I could see. If we leave our home for any length of time(overnight or longer) during our thunderstorm season I unplug everything in my shop and much of the house. We've had some ligthning induced surges since but minimal damage. I'm gonna buy some stock in the companies that make the GFIs though, because they rarely survive. :eek:

Well, an air gap has been used since the beginning of electricity as the best insulation and isolation, so if you've got the gap, your lathe won't be in the most direct path. If you've got the biggest gap, it'll probably escape unscathed. If it's got the biggest gap and is grounded, it's not likely to develop a charge to create the streamer the lightning needs to hit it directly.

Now EMP is something else. Imagine you could induce a fatal dose by a near miss.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The primary purpose of an air gap (normally used on antennas, but could possibly be used at the electrical service entrance) is to dissipate the increase in static charge when a strike is impending and, hopefully, prevent a direct strike. This is good insurance and generally works, but when a direct strike occurs anyway, the air gap will quickly melt and then everything is left exposed. In west Texas where severe thunderstorms frequently occur, it is not uncommon to have lightning rods installed along roof ridge lines. The conductors used on these lightning rod systems are massive and the grounding system consists of a large array of ground rods with conductors running between them. The grounding system somewhat resembles a spider's web. A single ground rod in addition to not being able to handle the current would lead to dangerous ground currents.

Bill

Back