• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Elizabeth Weber

Hi, I'm Elizabeth Weber. I'm a woodturner in Seattle, WA. I love to turn pieces and then carve on them. I've attached some examples I've worked on this year. I also love carving spoons - I view them as bowls with handles. :)

I'm getting more into adding color to pieces I work on and am really enjoying the process. Looking forward to getting to know more about the community through these forums!

P1026161.JPG^^^^^Screenshot_20211030-193039.png^^^^^Screenshot_20211030-192457.png

Screenshot_20211030-194244.png^^^^^Screenshot_20211030-194922.png^^^^^Screenshot_20211030-193011.png

Welcome to the forum Elizabeth. You will find some great advice, suggestions and tips here. Also....... Looks like you have a great deal of woodturning experience. Beautiful work!

Wow, it looks like you have a lot to offer us Elizabeth-- newbie you are not.

I'm curious about the spoons in your photos. How much turning was involved? I ask, because I'm trying to teach turning in a high school class. They are used to carving their spoons in the 8th grade and now that we have some lathes, we might try that.
Thanks

Wow, it looks like you have a lot to offer us Elizabeth-- newbie you are not.

I'm curious about the spoons in your photos. How much turning was involved? I ask, because I'm trying to teach turning in a high school class. They are used to carving their spoons in the 8th grade and now that we have some lathes, we might try that.
Thanks
Hey Tom! Thank you! The spoons are actually all hand carved (I just really love carving, lol). I have seen people who turn spoons between centers and then carve the bowl portion last in order the avoid the handle whipping around the lathe. We recently had a demonstrator, Neal Brand, do an interesting spoon turning demonstration for our club. Not sure if this is helpful. I think combining spoons and woodturning would be a fun exercise for your high schoolers!

Welcome, Elizabeth, great to have another Left Coaster here! I'm on Bainbridge (big rock 9 mi west of Seattle). Love your photos -- you remind me of one of our Club mentors, who also loves turning and carving, and very artistic. Maybe you can come over on the ferry and visit the studio at Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network some day. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome, Elizabeth, great to have another Left Coaster here! I'm on Bainbridge (big rock 9 mi west of Seattle). Love your photos -- you remind me of one of our Club mentors, who also loves turning and carving, and very artistic. Maybe you can come over on the ferry and visit the studio at Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network some day. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Hi Jamie! Thank you! I love Bainbridge Island - it's a nice ferry ride over from the city. I'd love to come by some day - BARN has a beautiful facility. Hopefully we can connect soon. Happy New Year!

Hi, I'm Elizabeth Weber. I'm a woodturner in Seattle, WA. I love to turn pieces and then carve on them. I've attached some examples I've worked on this year. I also love carving spoons - I view them as bowls with handles. :)

I'm getting more into adding color to pieces I work on and am really enjoying the process. Looking forward to getting to know more about the community through these forums!

View attachment 40991^^^^^View attachment 40992^^^^^View attachment 40993

View attachment 40997^^^^^View attachment 40999^^^^^View attachment 41000
Hi Elizabeth,

You did a recent demo for the Woodturners of Olympia and I (the camera guy) and my wife Barbe, who also does a lot to pyrography, were very impressed with your work. Will you be doing any upcoming classes on carving in the Seattle area. Barbe would like to attend.

Back