• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Elmer Zebley

Hello Everyone. My name is Elmer Zebley and I live in Rosman, NC. It’s a very small town about an hour southwest of Asheville. I’ve been turning for a bit over 10 years but not consistently. Nine years ago I married a lovely lady and introduced her to turning. Thankfully, she got bit by the bug and is becoming almost as active on the lathe as I. In 2016 we decided to move from Orlando, FL and buy property in the NC mountains. We spent about 3 years clearing, and building our home here. We did as much of the work as we could ourselves, so we didn’t do any turning during that period. But we now have a nice little shop set up to play. We have a Laguna 1836 which is a wonderful step up from our original midi lathe. Both of us are still in the “I want to try one of everything” mode. We are members of Carolina Mountain Woodturners which keeps adding to our "I want to..." list. I have read over the forums numerous times so figured it was about time to introduce myself and say, “Hi.”

206 Cherry (3).JPG17 Holey Scycamore bowl (5).JPG44 Norfolk Island Pine (3).JPG215 Red Oak (1).JPG

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your beautiful work, Elmer-Not sure how you held that 2nd one together lol! I have fished for trout all around Rosman, the Pisgah National Forest, up on the Parkway, etc. I don't know if you fish, but you are literally surrounded by legendary trout streams if you ever need any guidance. There are some world-class turners in our western NC mountains, too. The Carolina Mountain Woodturners is an outstanding organization that helped me dramatically up my turning game!

Good to hear back from you, AAron. I had a good fishing obsession growing up in the mountains of SW PA. Moved on to other things though and seldom wet a line now. Sally (my wife) and I spend a good bit of our time hiking and chasing waterfalls. So you know why we live where we do.
That "Holey Bowl" was a piece of sycamore loaded with flat head borers. I'd turn a little and then try to fish them out of any holes i found. But sometimes I'd hit one with the gouge. Big splat! The burrows were filled with frass and that stabilized it enough to get it turned. Once i cleaned all the frass out with dental picks, I was shocked it stayed together too.
Worms!!!! (2).JPG

Yikes, you're braver than me. I've been lit up by fire ants coming out of my turnings, but bug guts might be a bridge too far!

Back