• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I came with 18 polo horses on a Boeing 747, Flying Tigers, landed in New York in 1985 and drove with the horses to Santa Barbara CA. I worked with professional polo players for 2 years, had a lot of fun... Met my wife in Palm Springs, CA at the 1987 US Open Polo Championship. Married her in 1988...
I had to cut a large Koa tree in my yard, was getting too big and too close to the house. A friend stop by to see if I wanted to sell it. He talked me into buying a Sears Lathe.... My son is now 21. I was already turning when he was born. So, I have been turning for 21 plus years. I now have a Stubby 750 lathe. I have been living in Maui for 30 years now... I'm President of the Maui Woodturners Association. I still play polo, I raise polo horses, have a stallion and several brood mares...
I'm lucky that with my wife we have a few rental properties, I have been turning full time for several years now. I cant keep up with the demand, I'm known for my Koa calabashes. I have access to a lot of Koa... I have a web site www.hawaiiankoaturner.com where you can read more about me, and see what I do... I teach how to do calabashes, boxes with threads, a basic bowl, and a few other things, I can do it remotely. I was a part of the Special Interest Night at the last AAW symposium, with Alan Zenreich, I'm passionate about promoting live remote demos...
I love to fish for giant Pacific Blue Marlin and I hunt for pheasant and deer...
I have been writing articles for Woodturning UK magazine, having lots of fun doing it!! I had my minute of fame when I made the cover picture a few months ago... Life is good... Aloha

Attachments

• 22181186_10155044720522993_4734277217264634279_o.jpg
    22181186_10155044720522993_4734277217264634279_o.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 18

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
So, what do you do in your spare time? :D
I like to go up the mountain, the extinct volcano Haleakala, to look for Koa! People tell me my Koa is free... I usually take 2 trucks, 4 chainsaws, winches, for for the day, gas, oil, wear and tear, not free...

Back