• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Expensive trend lapping fluid!

image.jpeg Ive just purchased a couple of cbn credit card sharpeners from woodturning wonders ( by the way the owner is an awesome guy, and I would recommend his site to everyone ).

I noticed a lot of people recommend this trend lapping fluid.
I just saw this article from Paul Sellers on the subject and was wondering if what he states other people agree with. I would love a cheap alternative to that fluid and was wondering if any guys out there agree with what he is saying.

The msds sheet on trend says it has huge percentage of isoparaffinic hydrocarbon, lighter fluid is synthetic isoparaffinic hydrocarbon I believe.

The trend is 24.99 can$ for 100 ml.

Last edited:
On another forum, Sawmill Creek, the topic came up in response to a thread I started. It seems that just about any light oil can work. For sure the oils work better than water. The water helps with friction, but the oil seems to keep the metal from clinging to the diamond stones. There were a couple of home made versions, but generally light oils. Kerosene, 3 in 1, sewing machine oil, and yes, WD 40. Woodcraft has a brand also. One is solvent based, and the other is a powder that is intended to be mixed with water. I do use the Trend, but didn't really notice the cost. That price seems a bit high.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find the trend lasts a long time. It only takes a drop of so. However a good oil with a little Kerosene should work. That's what I use for Tapping fluid and it seems to work as well as the more expensive tapping fluids. I also believe that many people use something similar as a sharpening fluid on oil stones.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The MSDS for Ronson lighter fluid says it is an aliphatic hydrocarbon CAS # 64741-84-0. FWIW, it smells just like Klean-Strip VM&P Naphtha CAS #64742-49-0 which is a hydrotreated light solvent naphtha, but apparently also contains small amounts of other hydrocarbons including paraffinic naphtha.

Hydrocarbons which do not contain a benzene ring are called aliphatic hydrocarbons. Those which do contain benzine are called aromatic hydrocarbons. So, the MSDS for lighter fluid doesn't tell us much about its composition. But we probably can assume that the lighter fluid and the naphtha are both solvents.

So maybe you could just use some VM&P naphtha, but if you do, I would recommend wearing nitrile gloves or else it will dry your skin out terribly not to mention all the dire warnings in the MSDS.

So, when did Canada switch to pounds?

The MSDS for Ronson lighter fluid says it is an aliphatic hydrocarbon CAS # 64741-84-0. FWIW, it smells just like Klean-Strip VM&P Naphtha CAS #64742-49-0 which is a hydrotreated light solvent naphtha, but apparently also contains small amounts of other hydrocarbons including paraffinic naphtha.

Hydrocarbons which do not contain a benzene ring are called aliphatic hydrocarbons. Those which do contain benzine are called aromatic hydrocarbons. So, the MSDS for lighter fluid doesn't tell us much about its composition. But we probably can assume that the lighter fluid and the naphtha are both solvents.

So maybe you could just use some VM&P naphtha, but if you do, I would recommend wearing nitrile gloves or else it will dry your skin out terribly not to mention all the dire warnings in the MSDS.

So, when did Canada switch to pounds?

Haha found the article online. Obviously an English guy. Was going to order this lapping fluid and googled first to see if it was really needed or there was a cheaper alternative.

Back