• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Faceplate Wasteblock

Well I had my 2nd explosion last night. Not really an explosion. I was hollowing out a segmented bowl last night and my bowl ripped from the waste block. It wasn't the screws or the glue or a catch it was the block. I have been using some alder that I had left over from a flat work project and this is the 2nd time this has happened with the alder. I think the problem is the alder but wanted to see if anyone had any input.

Doesn't that drive you nuts when that happens? I've tried plywood, mdf, and pine glue blocks and had the same thing happen. I've never used alder, but my best luck has been with either poplar or hard maple where I've never had them split or break.

I usually use Poplar (cottonwood) or maple. The only seperation I had was one where I let the connection get too small. :eek:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I use 1 1/4 poplar screwed to a faceplate with large screws. I predrill the holes. That's real important as you will tend to crack the block otherwise. The crack will then go to a break when you least expect (as you have learned).

bob48188 said:
I've tried plywood, mdf, and pine glue blocks and had the same thing happen.

No plywood. You never know when the laminates fall apart in plywood.

Gordon

I would reiterate what Steve said above, always predrill the holes. I'm not that familiar with Alder but many woods will crack and split if you don't pre-drill.

The wood itself may have some internal cracks due to the felling of the tree or wind shakes. Not much you can do about that other than check it carefully before using, but sometimes wind shakes will be hard to detect.

tdrice said:
I usually use Poplar (cottonwood) or maple. The only seperation I had was one where I let the connection get too small. :eek:

That's the one. Note that "poplar" as sold is not poplar. Poplar, as in members of the Populus genus were traditionally used as cart and stoneboat bottoms because they might dent, but not split. Cottonwood's in the family, if not the genus. Also great for the sauna seats, because those Finnish butts don't like splinters.

Or perhaps you might use elm, which has pretty much the same thing going for it in the interlocked grain. I liked poplar.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find the long screws help. I use mostly poplar and maple but the only failures I've had were directly along the grain lines. If I had used longer screw it would have prevented that. Of course you have to consider the project and whether or not you have to turn into the waste block to finish the project. This might eliminate long screws as a solution.

Ditto on Beware of Plywood

I, too, had problems with alder, pine, etc. so tried 3/4" marine plywood. It holds well but the layers of varous grain patterns, wood densities and glue result in major catches when cutting it off on the lathe. I've lost two large platters as a result. I'm having much better success with recessed dovetails instead of face plates (and by being a bit less aggressive!).

Thanks for the input - I'm off to get some poplar today and give it a try this weekend.

Back