• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fall Contest Rules and Deadlines

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well, the non-traditional finial box was not what we had selected for the Fall Forums Contest, but what the heck, we will go with it.

The article, written by Fred Klap, is featured in the American Woodturner Fall 2007 journal, pages 46-49.

Deadline is Oct 8th.

Here's the rules.

Under 10" tall and under 10" round
Must open and have a hollow for a box.
Must have a non-traditional finial
You may only enter one item, but can have up to two photos. Post the photos in your gallery with the title
"AAW FALL 2007 CONTEST" and send an email with a link to the photo to forum_moderator@aawforum.org

Last edited:
Website
www.woodstoppers.com
finial

Does a finial have to be a different piece of wood or could I turn a finial and the lid all as one piece of wood? Seems like finials are always different pieces of wood glued to the lid. I had an idea for a final that would be part of the lid... would that be acceptable?

Website
www.machineartist.com
HI There

It took me a while but found the info for the fall submissions.
Thanks Steve. I am a new member here Jeff from Ile-bizard Canada.
I joined the AAW yesterday.
And will be entering the box with finial contest.
I'm a member of the west island woodturners and we hope to become a chapter this season still.
Thanks and regards to all from Machine artist.

non-traditional finial?

Sorry to sound not in the know, but just what is a NON-traditional finnial? And how do I submit an entry?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
To know what a non-traditional finial is, you will have to read the article.
To submit an entry, you upload up to two photographs of your ONE piece as noted in the rules and email me as noted in the above posting.

Isn't today October 6 in Canada? It is here in the US (unless I'm in a time warp or something). I hope the deadline is inclusive of the 8th. That's the way that I read it (not that that means anything though).

Ed

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Hi Steve
Is the submit date inclusive the 8th (tomorrow) or by tonight midnight...

Midnight on the 8th, but I have been known to get entries later and they get slipped in....

Back