• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Filling voids

When using epoxy and coffee grounds to fill voids and cracks do you use used or newly ground coffee? If used wet or dry. Do you mix the grounds into the epoxy or pack into void and let epoxy (or CA) wick in?

Stan

Why not use bark? I keep flakes of cherry, birch underbark and basswood fiber for stuffing in various colors. You can even grind it in a burr mill if you want. Looks real natural in a gap in the wood.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I use USED coffee grounds as I can't stand to waste the fresh stuff and I have plent of used grounds. Thin CA is applied after the coffee is packed into the crack. I over fill the void a little then cut or sand it down to the finished surface. If you are almost to finished dimensions/thickness, before doing this apply some sanding sealer or finish to the surrounding surface to prevent the coffee and CA from staining it.

I've been using tea instead of coffee. I have some very cheap and old teabags that I cut open and I've ground the stuff up in a mortar and pestle. Not sure that was needed but I did it. I like the look better than coffee grounds. I've only used it with CA glue. I have some large voisd I'd like to try this with but I have to figure out how to mix it with the epoxy I have. Can I pack the void and put the epoxy in or do I have to mix it first and pour it in?

Jred,
With epoxy you need to mix your additive into the resin first and then fill the hole with it, as the epoxy will not flow into and through the additive like CA does.

Back