• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finish for salt/pepper shakers?

I'm turning some salt and pepper shakers for gifts and was wondering what would be a good finish?

They'll be handled a lot and probably spend substantial time on a kitchen counter so durability is a must.

What about food safety? Do most folks put a coating on the inside of shakers or just leave them raw on the inside?

I was thinking about a spar urethane for the outside and leaving them raw on the inside or using a food-safe oil on the inside.

Any help is much appreciated.

I've never made a set of shakers but for pieces that get a lot of handling like pens I use a coat of CA glue (sometimes two coats) smooth with 0000 steel wool and polish with Hut Crystal Coat. Another good one for high use items is wipe on poly. I've never had a complaint with either method. For the inside I would suggest a sealant like a 50/50 mix of lacquer and thinner.

R

Ron Sardo

Peppercorns is like 3 grit sandpaper, so I leave the inside bare.

On the outside I use my favorite finish, which today happens to be Waterlox.

I've done a few pepper grinders, and don't finish the inside. What I have been impressed with has been General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. I did a salad bowl that has been used fairly often over the last two years, and the exterior finish is as good as ever. Inside has normal wear, but still looks to be in decent shape. I did a pepper grinder that has had daily use for the last 5 or 6 months, and that finish seems as good as day 1. I don't know what the make up of the General Finishes stuff is, but I'm sure other manufacturers use a similar formula, or something very close to it.

I made a set for our own use about a year or so ago. They get used/abused everyday and have held up well using 3 coats of Minwax wipe-on poly on the outside, sanding between each coat. Thought about waxing on a Beall system just to make it look better but I've noticed that wax only looks good until it has been handled a bunch and then you are stuck with waxing more often than I want.

With the wipe-on poly I occasionally just have to wipe them off using a dishrag with a little soapy water in it, then drying with a towel. Still lok like they did a year ago

No finish on inside at all, even though mine are walnut and some people worry about contact with walnut causing problems. I've never seen a reaction that could be traced to contact through unfinished pepper/salt mills but have heard a few "urban legends", that I personally doubt are valid.

Back