• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing BOW

I think this has been covered before but I can't find the thread. Finally scored some nice Bethlehem Olice Wood (BOW) to make some gifts for some special friends. Made some pens and bottle stoppers and used my favorite finish on the first few pieces, wipe-on poly by Minwax. Two coats on but still sticky a week later. Set those aside and used some spray poly on some other pieces, it won't dry either. Thought about using some lacquar-based sanding sealer or shellac-based sanding sealer. Neither is very durable but maybe I can use the wipe-on poly over the sanding sealer. Any thoughts here? How do any of you finish BOW? Thought about CA finish on the pens but I have not had good luck with it.

Really want to finish these so I can give them away soon. Even thought about just buffing but now I have to get the poly off the few pieces I have already finsihed. Any suggestions here?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Polyurethane varnish does not do well over woods that are not thoroughly seasoned and even then, some woods with a high oil content will never do well. Eastern red cedar is one of those woods where poly will remain gummy forever. I built a cedar blanket chest and applied a couple coats of super blonde dewaxed shellac (1 lb. cut) as a base coat before applying the poly finish. I thinned the poly 50-50 with naptha so that I could get a good self-leveling wipe-on finish and used about six coats. The results have been excellent with no problem after about six years, so the answer seems to be that a shellac base coat will work fine, but thin it so that it will penetrate the wood. A word of warning: do not use poly on the inside of anything where the oils in the wood may present a problem -- even with a shellac base coat, the poly will forever remain gummy. Personally, I am not a fan of polyurethane on turned items because it seems to always highlight pores in the wood, has a lot of glare, and makes minor imperfections stand out like a sore thumb.

Bill

Back