• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Folding Bandsaw Blade

I'm finding it much more difficult to fold up a 1/4 inch bandsaw blade compared to a 1/2 inch bandsaw blade. It looks like the blade isn't thick enough to provide the backbone to the blade to turn over to put the third loop on top of the others, rather it sticks out on top. Anyone have a similar experience? How about a fix?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's just practice. I remember when I could not fold a blade. I bought one of those cloth things you put in your windshield to keep the sun out. They have a metal inside like a bandsaw blade. They are easy to fold and teach you the muscle memory it takes to fold a bandsaw blade.

The one that stumps me is when the blade comes in side out..... Never use blades smaller than 1/2 inch. There are a bunch of You Tube videos on folding bandsaw blades. I do find unfolding my 1 1/4 inch blades to have a certain sphincter pucker factor.....

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find the smaller blades easier. Like Reed said I shudder every time I unfold my big blade that I think is either 1" or 11/4". I feel like I'm trying to push down on the trip of a bear trap and hoping I can pull my hand put before it gets me.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
It's been a really long time, but I used to use a lot of 1/8"x14tpi blades (sometimes 3-4 per day) and don't recall ever having a problem coiling them. I found my 1/4" bands were a little trickier but not really a problem.

The one that stumps me is when the blade comes in side out..... Never use blades smaller than 1/2 inch. There are a bunch of You Tube videos on folding bandsaw blades. I do find unfolding my 1 1/4 inch blades to have a certain sphincter pucker factor.....

robo hippy
Try tossing the wide blades outside above some grass. Just make sure to toss the blade out far enough to be away from your body when it springs open. I’ve seen people with bandsaw mills use this method.

Back