• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Footed Bowl Contest ... and the winner is...

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Below are the results of the Spring 2007 AAW Forums contest Footed Bowls with comments by the judge, Neil Scobie

1st Place
Bill Tilson
"Great piece Bill, the shape of the bowl is good as is the proportion of the leg section. It is also very fine and great to see you learned some new techniques in air brushing, well done"

2nd place
Miquel (pic 1)
Miquel (pic 2)
"This is a well made piece by the look of the photo. I like the proportion of the legs and the way they just look like they have grown out of the base. The shape of the bowl is also visually pleasing and does not appear to be too heavy. Great job, well done. Next time you could select a darker background for the photo to show of the bowl better."

3rd place
Paul Stolarik (pic 1)
Paul Stolarik (pic 2)
"Good piece Paul and an interesting approach, although I feel the legs and the wall thickness looks a little heavy. If you want to make a repeat piece, try making it lighter all over, the strength should still be there. Good job, well done"

All the entries received are here
http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=3511

Thank you once again for your participation and can't wait to see what's in store for the next contest (sorry, sworn to secrecy)

Thanks

:D What a way to start a Monday, waking up to congrat emails and finding Steve’s email telling me that Neil selected my entry. Want to thank Neil for writing his article on footed bowls and taking the time to judge the entries, know that he had a hard time deciding because of all the great pieces. Thanks to Steve for hosting the contest. This is my forth or fifth time I entered a AAW forum contest and it has been fun trying the new techniques that define the contests and I hope everyone tries the next required technique and enters the contest. “One can’t be selected unless one enters.ââ‚Â

Steve Worcester said:
Don't forget to thank the academy Bill

;) O My gosh Steve – your correct – I forgot to thank the members and the Academy of Turned Arts and Crafts, the wife for putting up with shavings and all the late nights in the shop, my family and friends that stood by me in my darkest hours, Ms. Teal my 1st grade teacher that showed me the finer points of color usage in finger painting, and my high school shop teacher Mr. McNut that showed me the real use of a skew, and all the …….

Seriously, I wanted to thank you for all the work you do as moderator and managing the forum and I did forget to included Ken - sorry. You and Ken are doing an excellent job.

Congratulations and thanks

Congratulations Bill. That is a very beautiful bowl. I'd like to thank you, Steve and Neil, for moderating and judging the bowls. Neil, I appreciate your feedback about taking better pictures.

This is my first footed bowl. It is a natural edge maple bowl measuring 8 inches diameter by 4 in. tall. The feet are roughly 7/8 in. long. I've been turning for only 2 years and am enjoying it very much.

Thanks again and hope to enter in another contest in the future.
Miguel

Back