• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

For seated turners

Ran into this while searching out Moxon vices for work benches. I saw some thing similar at a bowling alley once, but never could find them on Google. I think this might help some of the seated turners. For me, I would want a tractor seat mounted on a lazy Susan, and maybe on rails so I could move side to side. Of course, you would have to make sure you would not be tipping your lathe over....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APOpYA3-x-U

robo hippy

In high school we had a similar seats on our drafting tables. They were installed in the 1930's when the school was built. By the 1950's many were broken and no replacements were available. So as we had a pattern making shop, a foundry and machine shop we made replacements. Brooklyn Technical High School, NYC. School is still there but don't know about shops.
Stu

I turn while seated and prefer a chair on a rollers so I can move my body as need be. The hard part is finding a rolling stool that is tall enough.

See below for a batch of stools, adjustable height, with and without wheels and various other adjustments.

Stu

I do have one of the 5 legged chairs similar to what is shown on that site Stu. For bowls, they probably wouldn't work due to huge amounts of shavings on the floor. For smaller things, I would guess they could work fine. Think I got mine at Office Depot, or whatever the combined stores changed their name to. Now, if they could put on 4 or so inch diameter wheels, that would work, at least for a while....

robo hippy

My 2 stools, a 1980's drafting stool and a rescue (side of the road) stool have 2" diameter wheels stem casters that could be swapped out for larger stem casters as required.
As most seated turners will probably be limited as to the size of the turning only a small space shoud be needed for the turning dance so a broom nearby should help.

Attachments

• stools.jpg
    stools.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 21
The hard part is finding a rolling stool that is tall enough.
I have a bad back so standing in one place for longer than ten minutes is painful. I use a walker that has a fold down seat for all of my on lathe sanding. The walker height is adjustable. As the height of the walker is adjusted so is the seat. It folds up so it is easy to store. It fits my needs perfectly.

i

I've noticed there's a balance between size and heft and stability. The one I have now is a stool with a back and if I drop something to pick it up I have to lower the seat or if left up I risk having it slide out from under me. Also when I stand up to sharpen my tools I have to make sure the stool is not going to slide back as I try and sit down. So far so good but it's a constant concern. While the walker would be more bulky it certainly would be more stable. Good suggestion, thank you.,

I turn while seated and prefer a chair on a rollers so I can move my body as need be. The hard part is finding a rolling stool that is tall enough.
I also turn on an office chair. Adjustable height and with 5 casters very stable. Had to grab a spare cushion from the house to raise it up those last 2 inches. But I love the padded back to rest against with sanding.

I use a wobble stool for turning. It let's me keep tools properly anchored against the waist.
Specifically the Motion Stool by UPLIFT Desk

uplift-motion-stool-chr454__65879.1612983850.jpg

Back