• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Free exotic and figured wood chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have lots of corner pieces from bowl blanks. Most are dark woods, as I toss out most of the light colored, or less desirable pieces. A lot of burls and exotics in these, with quite a few Australian Outback burls. They would be great for laminating or inlay work. I have given these away before, but I'm running out of room again.....and, it's time to get rid of them! :)

I'd like to give as much of these away as you, or your club want at a time. You pay the shipping.....and a big box is heavy.....so, expect north of $50 to ship a good sized box. The minimum would be a postal box of about $25 shipping, but the more, the better. I'm doing this as a service to you, my fellow turners, and really don't want to toss out these nice usable exotics.....but, they are getting in the way in my very cramped shop.

I can accept a PayPal payment.....and, that would be preferred.

No picking and choosing, but I promise to give you some nice things to work with.

PM me.

-----odie-----

IMG_0898 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Website
www.instagram.com
Hello Odie,
I would love to get one of these smaller boxes as I mostly use local/domestic woods. Mostly ash, hackberry and pecan. How should we proceed? I am leaving for a short work day but should be home after 2 pm today.
Thanks
Al

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello Odie,
I would love to get one of these smaller boxes as I mostly use local/domestic woods. Mostly ash, hackberry and pecan. How should we proceed? I am leaving for a short work day but should be home after 2 pm today.
Thanks
Al

Hello Al....and, the others who have responded. The question of getting spindle turning blanks for finials came up, and there might be a few that would suit that purpose, but the bulk of these corner pieces are only good for laminating a finial.

There are quite a few that would be suitable for laminating sections of pen blanks, or anything smaller than that.....like refrigerator magnets, or small inlays.

Although these are exotics and burls.....they are small, and I just want everyone who gets some of these to be happy......and, it seems obvious that some are thinking the useable part is a bit bigger than they actually are.

-----odie-----

Website
www.instagram.com
Hello Al....and, the others who have responded. The question of getting spindle turning blanks for finials came up, and there might be a few that would suit that purpose, but the bulk of these corner pieces are only good for laminating a finial.

There are quite a few that would be suitable for laminating sections of pen blanks, or anything smaller than that.....like refrigerator magnets, or small inlays.

Although these are exotics and burls.....they are small, and I just want everyone who gets some of these to be happy......and, it seems obvious that some are thinking the useable part is a bit bigger than they actually are.

-----odie-----
Thanks for the reply Odie.
I was also thinking the usable part might be big enough for a finial. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and I am going to pass on the offer as I don't do small turnings/pens or much laminating.
Thanks again!
Al

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Idea for next time: take a couple or three (small - medium- large perhaps) and get photos of them with a ruler next to the sides (or measure and mark?) to give a much better idea of the dimensions of the pieces, might be helpful - or at least something to get a sense of scale..

Initially to me they looked to be about 2-3 inches (assuming bowl depth) and based on that guesswork, would seem you could cut corner squares to make small finial blanks out of each one, with the remaining "curved" parts being waste or leftover... but that's entirely guesswork based on the original photos which I took to be 15 gallon barrels? Like Al, I don't do a lot of laminating or end grain gluing, and I have tons of small stuff to use for inlays (Holly, tigerwood, walnut, sapele, purpleheart, etc) so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back