• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gast vacuum pump question

I have a Gast vacuum pump with a small glass jar attached that has oil in it. I have not been using this pump yet - but want to. But I do not know what kind of oil to use in this small glass jar. Anyone know?

I also have another Gast vacuum pump with out the oil jar. Is it better to use the pump with the oil jar or the pump without?

Thanks
Hugh

Hugh said:
I have a Gast vacuum pump with a small glass jar attached that has oil in it. I have not been using this pump yet - but want to. But I do not know what kind of oil to use in this small glass jar. Anyone know?

I also have another Gast vacuum pump with out the oil jar. Is it better to use the pump with the oil jar or the pump without?

Thanks
Hugh

Buy them Used? Oil jar on the outflow side? Oil-lubed pump?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Do not use the oil-lubed pump for woodturning. Even with a filter in the line some fine dust will make its way to the pump and if it is the oiled type, the dust and oil will mix to form an abrasive paste. It will also lead to vanes sticking in their guides. The oil type pump would be OK for vacuum veneering or other uses where there will not be any dust involved. The oil is similar to air tool oil, but if you go to the GAST web site, you can locate a dealer who can supply you with oil and other parts.

Bill

Hi Hugh you may be describing the pumps I presently use they are about fifteen years old and have been rebuilt three or four times (rebuild kit consists of front and rear motor bearings and four carbon veins) the small oil reservoir on the side is to lubricate the veins. After quite a bit of use they are still capabile of 26" of Hg.
Model-0522-v3-g314dx
1/4 hp 220vac@2.7amp 1725rpm
As for oil Gast part #AD220, you can also use detergent type automotive engine oils with classification SF or CC usally printed on the side of the container 30wt below100 degrees F and 20wt above 100 degrees F.

Attachments

• 100_0038.JPG
    100_0038.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 100_0039.JPG
    100_0039.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 281
I knew you guys would have the info I was after.

Mark - purchased one used ($50) and the other I got for nothing. One is 1/4 hp and the other is 1/3 hp.

Barry - That is what it looks like. I did not check the model number but it looks the same.

Steve - I will check the web site and see what I can download.

Thanks everyone.
Hugh

Back