• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

gild wax options

I experimented with gild wax for the first time this weekend. Things went well but I wasn't completely satisfied with the gild wax that I had purchased from Craft Supplies (see pic of open tin). It came in very dry and they do tell you to add mineral spirits to rejuvenate it. That works but it is a messy process and especially difficult in the little tin that it comes in.

Does anyone have another brand that they know works well? I found a Testors and DecoArt brand at my local Hobby Lobby for a decent price, anyone used either of these (see pic)? The Testors and DecoArt are both water based.

Also the Craft Supplies gild wax said it would dry into a hard, durable finish in 12 hours. After 48 hours, it will still rub off the bowl onto my fingers. What is best to seal over the gild wax, polyurethane, shellac, lacquer?
craftsup_gild.jpg HL_gild.jpg

Last edited:
My wife has used guilders paste a few times. What you photographed looks extremely dried out, in the fresh state it should look like shoe polish. When we've had to rejuvenate we've just added a few drops of mineral spirits to soften up the top layer.

As to drying and surface coating, this is wax. It does dry hard, but it is not durable. I tried a few experiments with polyurethane varnish, but the wax disolves in the solvent's carrier and any wiping or brushing action spreads the wax.

We just use it on things that aren't going to get handled much. If I were going to try and surface coat it I would try a fast drying spray like lacquer or possibly spray a waterbourne product.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I've had the same problem with the same brand (USA) Copper gilders paste. Purchased a few years ago...went to use it and was dried & cracked (like the mud in a dry river bed). Filled the tin with mineral spirits to try and save it....after several months it was still totally useless. Not sure if it is just the Copper color or if all the colors in that brand behave the same way. Other colors purchased a year or two earlier from CSUSA (Baroque Arts from UK) are still usable with a few drops of mineral spirits. This brand is difficult to source in my experience. I use Krylon Matte spray finish as a protective coat.

Haven't tried these as yet, promoted by Nick Agar:
https://www.chroma-craft.com/product/935/chroma-gilt
https://www.chroma-craft.com/product/908/accent-paste

Back