• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Good bowl lathe for $1k?

Ok team I have two lathes and neither are ideal for bowls. 20 year old Delta 10" and the HF 12" with the Reeves drive is about 10yrs old. I bought the HF specifically to turn an urn for a friend and it really was a bit freaky since the low speed was 600rpm. The urn turned out just what I wanted it to be so goal accomplished. The lathe has been sitting unused ever since. I will probably dedicate it to my buffing wheel setup.

Many of y'all have helped me make some decisions on getting chucks and segment sleds but the real discussion I think I need to have is lathe. I really should upgrade but I need to keep it to around $1k to 1.5

Let's assume I don't find a used one (I'm looking, my area doesn't have a lot of bowl turners).

Let's also assume I'm doing mostly bowls that would fit a 12" lathe, maybe a 14".

What do you recommend?

Older Delta heavy duty - like 46-450 or better yet, a Powermatic 90. These typically are reeves drive, but if you find one with 3 phase power, add a VFD and you will have all the variable speed you could want. For that budget, even the 90 should be attainable.

The Powermatic is significantly heavier than the Delta, but even the delta I had was ~550 or so lbs. These are 12" lathes, but have outboard capacity as well.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Someone here was recently selling a Vega 2600 for around that price. I think they were in NC West Virginia and I don’t think the lathe sold. It’s a bit old school, but from what I’ve heard it’s a pretty darn good bowl lathe. 26” swing I think? Let me see if I can dig up the thread.

Edit: here is the thread. Price was dropped to $1499, but maybe there is some more wiggle room.

Edit: I guess this one might be overkill. I would recommend being willing to drive a bit (if possible) and find a used jet or laguna or nova .

Last edited:
Ok team I have two lathes and neither are ideal for bowls. 20 year old Delta 10" and the HF 12" with the Reeves drive is about 10yrs old. I bought the HF specifically to turn an urn for a friend and it really was a bit freaky since the low speed was 600rpm. The urn turned out just what I wanted it to be so goal accomplished. The lathe has been sitting unused ever since. I will probably dedicate it to my buffing wheel setup.

Many of y'all have helped me make some decisions on getting chucks and segment sleds but the real discussion I think I need to have is lathe. I really should upgrade but I need to keep it to around $1k to 1.5

Let's assume I don't find a used one (I'm looking, my area doesn't have a lot of bowl turners).

Let's also assume I'm doing mostly bowls that would fit a 12" lathe, maybe a 14".

What do you recommend?
I recently purchased a JET 1221 VS for $1K. Decent machine for the money. Of course JPM stands behind their products and they have helped me out a few times in the past with other machines I have. My turnings are all less than 12 inches diameter so it is perfect for me.

Matt

I am also in an area where used lathes don’t come up very often. I was looking for something for my grandson. I was vacationing a 3 hour drive north of home, and checked there. I found two that were exactly what I wanted, at a good price. Both were another 1 1/2 hour further north.

I guess what I’m saying is it might help to search other areas if you are willing to drive.

The jet that Paul recommended is very capable, as is the Laguna 12/16. Both have 12” swing, variable speed, and cost about $1,000. They are really really designed for 8” or smaller. You can go up to 16” on the Laguna with the outboard attachment, but it’s not ideal.

I believe the Nova Comet has a little bigger swing for less money, but I don’t have any experience with it so I couldn’t say if it’s good or not.

Website
www.stevebonny.com
Delta 46-460 is an option. Its variable speed, with 3 pulley positions. I think it goes down to about 250rpm and up faster than I have ever needed. It's a lightweight midi lathe with 12.5" swing. I really like using mine for smaller stuff. It's only 1hp so a 12" bowl might be pushing it. About $1k on amazon. I made an outboard adapter for mine but it really doesnt have the torque to turn bigger stuff imo.

There was an introductory price of $1350 I think for the Nova Neptune, 15” swing, 1-1/2 hp. It would likely be my choice at normal price in the “large midi” range. Otherwise, keep looking for use evs lathes up to 16-18”.

Many of the midi’s only have a 3/4 hp drive, some are 1 hp. They will struggle roughing a bowl when taking large cuts with a bg. The Neptune will not (same drive I have in my Galaxi). Its strong enough to core bowls.

Well, you will have to find a used one if you are serious about turning bowls. I only turned on a Vega once, and it is a very nice lathe. It is specifically a bowl lathe though. Find the nearest club, and see what is for sale.

robo hippy

Back